Oceanic Caribe X Full Foot VS TUSA Imprex Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alisonchan

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to ask, as i am the beginner of the diver and i don't know anything about the fins.

I will dive(scuba) in Miami on November and December.

I would like to ask,
actually which fins is better??
TUSA Imprex Fins or Oceanic Caribe X Full Foot??

I would like to choose Oceanic Caribe X Full Foot but i am afraid that
this is not well for scuba diving.
Also, i will be cold without boots.

Would you give me some suggestion please?? thanks

Are you a female? Do you travel? The Caribe is very light in weight. Why do you think that FF fins cannot be used with boots? Did somebody tell you that? In California, there are hundreds of free divers using FF fins with boots. I prefer 1/8 booties, not boots with Caribe fins. That is because of my background and type of diving I do. There are several tests of the Caribe which show it to be superior to many and one of the fastest fins tested. They are easy to find by Google search of "test" and "Scubalab".

Here is a test of the Imprex which says good things about it:
TUSA IMPREX Tri-ex fins - Product Reviews - DIVE

Another test was less clear:
Diver Tests Extra - Fins - September 1999

This test indicates that the Tri-Ex is medium speed but may be hard to fit females.
http://www.scubadiving.com/article/Fin_Fight/

The Imprex is a good, conventional fin which is pushed heavily by LDS's. In other words, nobody will notice when you are pulling them on. The Caribe takes you in different direction but it is a solid performer for divers under 200 lbs. Another fin which employs similar design philosophy is the Mares Super Channel and the Aeris MAKO, excellent fins in the FF and OH style. I believe that the Mares is the fastest fin ever tested. It is easy to kick but not as soft as the Caribe. A little secret, FF fins are almost always faster. People claim to know why but I doubt it. They are also cheaper to buy. Don't know why. Now, time for the editorial comment:

I'm trying to get a clearer mental picture of what is going on. Are you a 5'3", Asian female who has finished a diving course and the local dive shop is pushing the Tusa fin at you? Get the Caribe fins. Visit a shop that specializes in spear fishing and free diving like Florida Free Divers or Chad Carney's shop in Miami. Get a pair of spearfishermans booties. Or, go on EBay and look for IST, 1/8 booties. Be careful. The fins will necessarily be one size larger to accomodate the bootie. Get the booties first. The right size bootie will fit tightly. You will have to "peel" it off. That is as it should be.

You have to take charge. If there is a problem finding a bootie or fin which is small enough you know what must be done. If the fin is too loose, get a thicker boot. Don't take "no" for an answer. The fin should fit snugly with no movement on the foot. It should not feel tight or hurt. A bad fitting fin is miserable, like a new shoe. Don't let somebody tell you it will feel better in time because it won't. The fit should feel perfect at the start.

Last edited:
Wow......your answer is so detail.
How do you know that i am a 5 "3 Asian femaile??
With your opinion, I am going to buy the FF.
However, what is the meaning of 1/8 booties??

I only hear about the 3mm, 5mm, but never heard about the 1/8 booties.
If I am wearing 5mm men size 7 booties,
what size of fins do you think i am going to use??

Thanks a lot for your advice.

How do I know? A long time ago, I kissed a Korean girl and liked it. Also, it gave me special powers.

A few definitions for you, pretty lady. FF = full foot. OH = open heel. LDS = local dive shop, 1/8 = 1/8 inch = 3 mm.

About size, try "medium large" with a 5 mm boot. Also, click on this size chart. Remember to add one size for the boot.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Cate...ck/DescSort_0/Filter_1=308/OCNFCRX.html?Hit=1

lol.........that's why.........^^
My roomate is Korean also and they are so nice.

I have one more question.
I hear someone say that you need to clean your mask when you just buy it.
Use the toothpaste to clean it.
Why do we need it and how to clean the mask??

Thanks a lot for your help again.

Ali, new masks have a stubborn coating on the lens. This can cause fog and be extremely annoying. I suggest you search for the latest 10-20 threads on the subject. That indicates how important many people regard this subject, just by the volume of electronic traffic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom