Oceanic Atom 2.0 vs Geo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I want to upgrade my old Oceanic computer to Atom 2.0 or GEO. As far as I can tell the difference is the air-integrated on Atom and GEO doesn't.
1. Which one is better?
2. Does the air-integrated worth the money?

Thanks!

You should ask this on the computers forum as well, you will get a broader audience. FWIW, this is a personal issue and especially the anti-air integrated folks tend to feel very strongly about their opinions.

I like AI wrist computers, find them very reliable and convenient and have no desire to go back to a console computer. Most people who have tried air integrated wrist computers like them and seem to stay with them, but for everyone who feels the way I do, there will be someone else to tell you they are a waste of money, and as always, a few people who will tell you they are death traps and so on. You might want to search the computers forum for terms like "integrated" and so on before asking.

Good luck, and yes, the GEO is not air integrated and the Atom 2.0 is.

I want to upgrade my old Oceanic computer to Atom 2.0 or GEO. As far as I can tell the difference is the air-integrated on Atom and GEO doesn't.
1. Which one is better?Hard to say. If you want/like AI, the Atom 2.0, if not, the GEO.The Atom has other features that come with being AI. Air-time remaining, gas-switching, etc. How useful those features are will depend on the diver.
2. Does the air-integrated worth the money?Again, hard to say. For me, yes. For others, no. If there are budget concerns, the answer is obvious. I don't know if they still do, but you used to be able to buy the wireless-AI models with or without the transmitter. It might be an option if you think you might want to add a transmitter later, but want to spend less money right now.

Thanks!
I use a VT3 as my primary, and like jd950, I wouldn't go back to a non-AI, or console-AI. I like having all of my info in one spot on my wrist with no extra hoses. But, integrating everything does have the disadvantage that if the computer goes, all of your info goes with it. That's why I also dive with a GEO as my back-up (and keep an spg in my save-a-dive). So far, I haven't had any problems keeping the transmitter sync'd-up with the computer, so no lost gas pressure info.

I've used Atom 2 for over a year and I tried diving with Geo on my recent trip (unsuccessfully to computer malfunction). The only difference between the two is AI on Atom 2 (and absence of various color combos too). To me, AI is worth extra 50% of the sale price. Also, I've tried diving with 2 different Geos with recent production date and in both cases experienced a fatal computer malfunction - so I don't know if there was a defective batch of sensors in early 2009 or what. YMMV. Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom