Oceanic Algorithm Differences -- VT4 and OC1?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

t-mac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My RDB and I both have Oceanic primary and secondary computers and usually run DSAT. I have an OC1 and she uses a VT4. We do this on purpose so that we are relatively closely in line with NDLs. This has worked extremely well up until yesterday. We were on the last of a series of dives over the weekend and the fourth of the day. We were using 32% nitrox, planning on a dive to 80-90 feet, and just before the dive we were looking at our NDLs in planning mode and everything looked good for the profile we intended to do. The dive went very well -- just as planned-- right until near the end. I was still showing about 16 minutes of ND time and we were casually making our way towards the ascent line when my RDB signals that she only has 4 minutes left and that it is time to start our ascent. This was quite surprising to me because if anything I was diving the slightly more aggressive profile. Of course, no time do debate or second guess at depth. We did our ascent and all was fine.

So, I downloaded our dive profiles and everything was as remembered and, indeed, her VT4 was showing 4 minutes at the point in the dive when my OC1 was still showing 16. This is a big difference in my mind given how closely our dive profiles matched. Any ideas about what is going on here? I don't have them with me now, but one thing I thought of was that maybe she had the conservative factor on, but looking at the algorithm, I can't see it making such a huge difference. I am going to more carefully look at our profiles tonight for all four dives, but I would be shocked to see anything there that would cause such a discrepancy. Plus, in planning mode before the dive everything looked very similar.

Anyone have any ideas what might be going on here? I'm really curious.

Thanks for the replies.

If you can add the profile it will be much easier to troubleshoot. From the information you gave user error or one of the computers is wrong.

I assume you're referring in both cases to NDL and not air time, correct? The things to check is that the same algorithm is set on both, the conservatism and altitude settings, the same O2%. Are all these the same?

Back
Top Bottom