Oceanic Air XS - Anyone have this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divmstr223

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OCNAX.jpg

I've had the Scuba Pro Air II for as long as I can remember, but one thing that has been happening in recent years it that if free flows too much, especially on beach dives when small waves even touch it.....PITA for sure!!! But I do want to go to the same or close to the same style of alternate Air source.....

I've heard some positive and negative views on the Atomic SS1, I was wondering if anyone has or has heard about the Oceanic Air XS???

I'm going to buy something soon, but I really don't want to go back to my standard Octo.... and I'm tired of the free flowing issues.....

Reccomendations please :D

I have experience with the Atomic SS1, Scubapro Air 2, Aqualung Air Source, and the Oceanic Air XS and I would rank them best to worst in that order as far as build quality goes. I have not seen major problems with any of these but I have seen the Oceanic act up like you speak of at the surface on several occasions(such as freeflowing when it hits the water) even after repeated attempts to tune it to an acceptable level. I would think your money would be better spent on any of these but the Oceanic. Just so you know I have nothing against Oceanic. I happen to like alot of their gear such as the Delta 4 and I like their computers. I am just not a fan of the Air XS.

Just my opinion I hope it helps,

Happy Diving

Gillty

This is the same as the Aeris AirLink. I've used one for a year with no problems - no freeflows and it breathes fine. Larry at ScubaToys uses one for himself and has a great price on the Aeris - especially with your ScubaBoard discount.

Gillty:
I have experience with the Atomic SS1, Scubapro Air 2, Aqualung Air Source, and the Oceanic Air XS and I would rank them best to worst in that order as far as build quality goes. I have not seen major problems with any of these but I have seen the Oceanic act up like you speak of at the surface on several occasions(such as freeflowing when it hits the water) even after repeated attempts to tune it to an acceptable level. I would think your money would be better spent on any of these but the Oceanic. Just so you know I have nothing against Oceanic. I happen to like alot of their gear such as the Delta 4 and I like their computers. I am just not a fan of the Air XS.

Just my opinion I hope it helps,

Happy Diving

Gillty

This helps very much, Thank you!! I'm certainly not going to buy something that's doing the same thing as what I have now. I would love to just continue using my Scuba Pro Air II but like I was saying, it keeps free flowing. I guess it's just hit and miss with any of these styles anymore.

But everyone has been saying good things about the SS1, I may have to take a closer look at that one.. :14:

I have more than 50 dives in all kinds of conditions with my Oceanic Air XS and it's never free flowed. Come to think of it, I wonder if it even works! Kidding.

Seriously though, it's been a solid alternate air source with no issues. There might be better breathing regulators on the market, but I haven't had a problem with this one.

I had a similar problem with one of my Air II's, had it cleaned out & the seat replaced & problem went away. Did you get it serviced by someone, who knows what they are doing? Also be aware, depending on your BCD the large corrugated hoses are different diameters so that can be a problem for switching. I have Air II's on all my BCDs, all Oceanic. I used Scubapro's new version adaptor kit to get them to fit on the smaller Oceanic hose. I have heard from others the Atomic is great too.

I use the Oceanic AirXS for my second, and love it. I use it for beach diving and YAK diving 90% of the time. I have never had a freeflow...Ever. Larry over at Scubatoys.com reccomended it, at a great price as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom