Ocean Reef Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KentuckyDiver

Registered
Reaction score
We have just purchased two of the full face masks by ocean reef. Anybody out there ever used them before? And if so, do you have any pointers?

PLEASE, ONLY PEOPLE WHO HAVE ACTUALLY USED THE MASKS PLEASE RESPOND.

I have used them but they don't fit me so well. They say they fit 80% of the people and I am in the 20%. Did you take a FFM class? They are certainly different and there are a few things that are critical for you to be aware of.

Hey, now's a fine time to be doing your product research, AFTER ya bought 'em.
:D
Other than being a tad less "robust" than my AGA, there is way too much real estate sticking out in front of the mask for it to be good in blackwater w/lots of weeds, etc waiting for a chance to hitch a ride.
I'm waiting on the new Poseidon FFM to hit the market; it uses a Jetstream reg that's switchable between demand & positive pressure. Nice wide seal for the face, too.

As usual, nothing but 100% POSITIVE INPUT.

We researched all the full face masks that accepted underwater communication. Ocean Reef seemed to have the best response and best price.

We were just asking for ANY POINTERS!!!

But what more could we expect out of this place. LOL

I liked the reg round at the front of the mask rather than sticking out the SIDE where it WILL and always HAS caught onto EVERYTHING in it's path. That is another reason we went with the ocean reef over AGA.

Does Posiden have any info. on the new mask?

You want pointers? OK, trade the suckers in on some REAL FFMs.
:D (I haven't filled my wise@zz quota for today) *snicker*
Don't mess with that tinkertoy wireless comm stuff, either, get some hardwire comms that aren't going to puke on you when ya need 'em the most. Not to mention that wireless comms will cost ya about as much as the mask itself.

Front mounted regs can get into the purge mode if you're in real fast water. (not that you should be in there to begin with)

The Poseidon masks are made from an older design of AGA from back when the 2 were sorta working together or something like that. It has a wide sealing skirt that feels like it'll stick to your cheeks like cheap lipstick. I'm expecting a new pricelist in a couple of weeks, hopefully they'll be in there.

Bob,

I see you don't sell ocean reef masks.

Would you recomend a hard wire set up working in a river around branches?
Purge button pressing in due to water pressure? Give me a break. Why wouldn't any reg's purge button press in during high water pressure or current? I bet the Posidens don't do it do they?

We have purchased one of the best in the market. I was looking for some pointers from folks that have used them not yet another great negative feedback.

Again, What should we expect from a negative site like this. All you can do is bring out the bad in EVERYTHING.

If it will make you happy, AGA is a great mask too. Just 50% more than the ocean reef and it's still tempered glass and liquid injection silicone. Nothing more, nothing less!

Nice dive shop you have posted on board.

Where were you a commercial diver?

Ever do anything down in Louisiana?

I have an excuse, I'm on medication. Not that I'm NOT a wise@zz without it tho. :eek:ut: I rarely pass up an opportunity to tease. :wink:
As a commercial diver we'd work in and around trees & branches all the time, always with surface air & hardwire comms.
If you're in water moving fast enough to push your purge button, it's time to switch to a hat or just get out of the crick alltogether.
Purge buttons on the AGA & Poseidon are towards the side, relatively small compared to a front mounted reg.
Some of my more memorable experiences involve trees in the Mississippi River at flood stage. (I worked the Great Lakes & Mississippi River flowage down past St Louis, pay rates too low in the south to make it worth while).
I must admit I'm somewhat predjuiced in the gear selection department, I tend to favor stuff that is very well built & will tend to keep spirit & body together under conditions that would otherwise dismantle the average package of dive gear.
Silicone FFMs, while more comfy, better sealing, and more UV resistant, will tear more easily than a rubber one. Usually happens at strap attachment points.
I use some of Ocean Reef's stuff, they have the best hose protectors out there. :D
For best AGA prices, take a look at: http://www.dyk-brand.se/sidor/english.htm
How 'bout a nice DESCO pot instead?

oops, forgot to mention that the new Poseidon FFM will be using a Jetstream that's been made switchable between normal demand or positive pressure. VERY slick feature.

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...
Bob,

I see you don't sell ocean reef masks.

Would you recomend a hard wire set up working in a river around branches?
Purge button pressing in due to water pressure? Give me a break. Why wouldn't any reg's purge button press in during high water pressure or current? I bet the Posidens don't do it do they?

We have purchased one of the best in the market. I was looking for some pointers from folks that have used them not yet another great negative feedback.

Again, What should we expect from a negative site like this. All you can do is bring out the bad in EVERYTHING.

If it will make you happy, AGA is a great mask too. Just 50% more than the ocean reef and it's still tempered glass and liquid injection silicone. Nothing more, nothing less!

Nice dive shop you have posted on board.

Where were you a commercial diver?

Ever do anything down in Louisiana?

Ok I have used both the AGA and Ocean Reef.. I sold my AGA because it didn't fit my face well.. The OR fits much better but in fast water the purge does get operated on occasion.. You have to start adjusting the angle at which you look into the water..

The OP valve on the OR is a piece of garbage.. have your buddy watch the water level in you mask change as you alter positions, you have to constantly play with the reg and/or the OPV.. Flow rate is of high importance on the OR mask, If possible use their first stage, I learned the hard way.. Stay away from high performance first stages they move too much gas.. lower the IP to around 120-125 psi and adjust the cracking pressure, then the flow control works great otherwise you are forever vebnting from the mask..
The only time I use my mask is whne I have to dive in very cold water or are trying to direct students.. I set my students up with receicve only devices so I can give instructions.. I have a multi channel unit so I can give MY dms private instructions.

If the AGA fit me better I would have stayed with it.. I recently tried the Kirby Morgan super mask, and have decide to buy one.. it beats the hell out of both the aga and OR.. (if the EXO wasn't so heavy I probably would have bought one of them(instead of the OR), its quality is tops and fits well... but the unit is too heavy for my taste)

We'll take the proper precautions to avoid the free flow. #1 will to be readjust it internally if it in fact needs it.

We may put our GS2000's on them.

Kirby Morgan is an outstanding company but beware of the older helmets that you see on ebay. They have been known to blow off a divers head. OUCH!

Bob3 once bubbled...
You want pointers? OK, trade the suckers in on some REAL FFMs.
:D (I haven't filled my wise@zz quota for today) *snicker*
Don't mess with that tinkertoy wireless comm stuff, either, get some hardwire comms that aren't going to puke on you when ya need 'em the most. Not to mention that wireless comms will cost ya about as much as the mask itself.

Front mounted regs can get into the purge mode if you're in real fast water. (not that you should be in there to begin with)

The Poseidon masks are made from an older design of AGA from back when the 2 were sorta working together or something like that. It has a wide sealing skirt that feels like it'll stick to your cheeks like cheap lipstick. I'm expecting a new pricelist in a couple of weeks, hopefully they'll be in there.

Hardwire communications for recreational scuba divers? I know that's what commercial divers use for surface to diver but we have used the OR for communications between two groups on oposite sides of the lake. I don't think hardwire would work for that. Your a card all right.

Back
Top Bottom