Ocean Concepts - Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ArcticDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
I know others have differing opinions about this operation. But this thread is about my experience.

I have dove with this operation each January for several years. I did another trip with them yesterday. In short: A person could not ask for a more professional and safely run dive operation.

Yesterday I dove with them from their Wainae shop. The shop was clean, well organized and professionally dressed staff. Again I was diving my Independent Doubles. Although that isn't a norm for them they had no problems with it.

There was a thorough briefing in the shop before heading to the boat. Then we went to the boat. There were tanks and weights on board for everyone. Although this was a mixed experience group that didn't seem to affect anyone. We had one snorkeler, two students doing their final certification dives, three experienced divers and the crew. A Dive Guide was assigned to my buddy and I and another to the third experienced diver.

On board there was a thorough pre-dive briefing for the first dive between my buddy and I and from the Dive Guide.

During the dive the Dive Guide asked for air checks, as briefed, to make it easier to make sure we were correctly positioned on the wreck. The Dive Guide, properly, didn't take responsibility for gas management except to guide us so we were at the base of the ascent line with the briefed gas reserve. The Dive Guide pointed out various animals and features we would have missed due to unfamiliarity with the site.

For the second dive there was another pre-dive brief. This time we were told to be back at the base of the ascent line with enough air but not to exceed an hour dive. Since max depth at the site was 50' that was reasonable. Again the Dive Guide kept us oriented to the site and the boat and pointed out animals and features. Gas checks were to make sure we weren't lead too far from the mooring line; not to manage our dive, that was our job.

Although there was quite a mix of divers all was handled well and no one felt pressured or hindered in any way.

Gear was transported between the shop and the boat quickly and efficiently.

If I have any complaints about Ocean Concepts it is an administrative one. They are far too slow and too spastic responding to emails that are sent in response to their email marketing. Plus, a couple of their folks can get a bit snippy at times. BUT, we are all human and I'm sure they could maybe point out a couple of things about me. So....

i too like oc..
i've dove with johanna.. she's really cool.. and cute too :D
she also taught my rescue class.

I rode my bike over to the K-bay shop with JB the other day...they have a lot of stuff in there!

People tell me they are very organized.

I have MANY MANY dives (~200) with this shop. Jim Byrem and his team are very thorough in dive and safety briefings. You can even join the HDS (not free) through them and get huge discounts off the dive charter price, I think it may be up to 40-50% off charters. Worth it if you will be diving a bunch with them.

catherine96821:
I rode my bike over to the K-bay shop with JB the other day...they have a lot of stuff in there!
It looks like most all their shops are on a military reservation other than the boat harbor. Access requires a DOD window sticker, doesn't it?

Hey, was Leo still hanging around the Waianae operation? He was one of my DM's when I drove for OC.

Tom Winters:
Hey, was Leo still hanging around the Waianae operation? He was one of my DM's when I drove for OC.

Gee, I don't know everyone's name. But I didn't hear the name.

Mike was boat Captain and Jennifer was the Dive Guide for my two diver group. Both are really pro's.

John was on the counter.

Back
Top Bottom