OC Rec Default GF

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is not at all clear why the Teric manual can include AI and Rec and Tec modes, but the Perdix AI requires three manuals for this, and the Perdix requires two for Rec and Tec. And that is in English. In other languages there are not as many manuals. WTF? As this thread shows, down this path lies confusion.
I THINK the Perdix has multiple manuals because there was a Perdix and then there was a Perdix AI. I may be wrong. The Teric has been nothing but AI and SW realized the Rec use and Tec use could be combined in the same manual since it is a new product??? Just a thought.

Cheers -

When you unbox a perdix and power it up it starts in OC rec mode with medium conservatism (40/85+adaptive 3-5min safety stop).
At least mine did.
Tec modes have default GF:s of 30/70.

WTF? As this thread shows, down this path lies confusion.

And this isn't the first thread due to manual confusion. And won't be the last.
Myself, I didn't have opportunity to go diving for weeks after I got my Perdix and entertained myself with reading all the manuals I found, which is the only way to realize the different modes.

Manuals are also confusingly titled, because on the computer you can't find a "Recreational nitrox mode" at all . (since it is labeled "OC Rec"). How is someone with less patience supposed to find the correct manual?

When someone buys a computer named "Perdix AI" it would be natural to start reading a manual titled "Perdix AI manual" which is not the correct choice.

upload_2019-1-5_9-1-14.png

The next option is Perdix Manual which "covers operating instructions for all other features of the Perdix AI"
But is doesn't. Instead of covering all other features, it is actually the Tec mode manual and fails to cover features of the default startup mode.

We have had numerous threads with confused people here. Usually they are running their computer in OC rec mode and are unable to find answers to their questions in "Perdix manual". Finding your way to "Recreational Nitrox Mode Manual" as the basic manual is made hard.

I imagine that the simplest for SW was to take the existing Petrel manual and modify it for the Perdix, then to write up a separate manual for Rec mode, since most people using it in Rec mode will not need to use all the other features at first so an easier manual. Then they brought out AI and had to add that.

Version control in product documentation is a huge challenge, especially when FW revisions change things. I assume that separate manuals offer a benefit in that if an aspect of CC/BO mode changes, they dont have to change everything but only one manual.

The user case for the Teric is IMO not really the same as the Perdix, so an all-in-one manual makes more sense there, to me anyway.

In reading another thread I noticed the Teric and Perdix have different default GF in OC Rec. Teric is 40/85 and Perdix 30/70. I do understand the GF is customizable but is there a reason why the default GF is different?

30/70 isn't even provided as an option in Rec mode on the Perdix AI, the default is 40/85. GFs are not customizable in Rec mode.

I believe the different manuals for the Perdix came about because of how modes/features got released. If I remember correctly, in the Predator/Petrel/Perdix, there was no recreational mode. It was add later as a firmware update, I think when the Petrel or the Petrel 2 was the newest in the line and just before the Perdix came out. After adding the Rec mode, it needed documentation, and rather than have to revamp 2 (maybe 3 if the Petrel 2 had a different manual) manuals to add it. It also made for a much shorter "read" for someone that may not understand/need the "Tec stuff". I'm guessing when the Perdix came out it was much easier to edit the Petrel manual (they all work the same way and usually are on the same firmware), rather than a total re-write. When the AI came out, they just documented its additional features, since everything else was the same as the original Perdix (kind of like when the Petrel 2 added the compass feature over the Petrel 1). So there you have the third manual.

The Perdix/Perdix AI have 3 levels of conservatism (gradient factors) in Rec mode (something like Low[45/95], Med[40/85] (default) and High[35/75]). You can change it, just not to exactly what numbers you may want. I assume this was done to make the selection easier for those that don't know what 30/10 or 45/95 means.

I believe the different manuals for the Perdix came about because of how modes/features got released. If I remember correctly, in the Predator/Petrel/Perdix, there was no recreational mode. It was add later as a firmware update, I think when the Petrel or the Petrel 2 was the newest in the line and just before the Perdix came out. After adding the Rec mode, it needed documentation, and rather than have to revamp 2 (maybe 3 if the Petrel 2 had a different manual) manuals to add it. It also made for a much shorter "read" for someone that may not understand/need the "Tec stuff". I'm guessing when the Perdix came out it was much easier to edit the Petrel manual (they all work the same way and usually are on the same firmware), rather than a total re-write. When the AI came out, they just documented its additional features, since everything else was the same as the original Perdix (kind of like when the Petrel 2 added the compass feature over the Petrel 1). So there you have the third manual.
You may be right...but Shearwater does not usually take the "easy" path but rather the "best" path. Now that they have a single Teric manual, that coves ALL the modes, seems like back-fitting it to the Perdix would be the next step.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom