Objective fin reviews?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the Hollis F-1's. Aqualung Blades-the old version not the blades 2 they are junk IMO, Rockets, had a set of the old Pulse's(good fin just did not fit my boots), Aeris Vectors, and some off brand cheapos that I picked up with a bunch of other gear. THEY ALL WORK. To different degrees. What kind of diving are you planning to do? Most impoirtant how much do you have to spend? Walmart fins?NO! Dicks Sporting good fins? NO! Most any brand name fin from any dive shop in the world as a new or newer recreational diver? YES! I could not see a whole lot of difference in my blades, rockets, V-12 splits, Aeris Vectors, etc as a new diver. It was once I got my weighting, trim ,and fine buoyancy control dialed in that fins "seemed" to make a big difference. And for certain kicks they do. But to this day I can move just as efficiently with most any fin using a basic flutter or scissor kick. I do PREFER my Hollis's and Blades over any other that I've tried so far including jets. But that is just me. The blades are no longer made, the Hollis's are expensive relatively speaking. If I had not gotten the deal I did I;d most likley be using jets. Cheap, damn near indestructible, and with springs they are the shizzle. There is no good reason for a new or newer diver to go out and spend more than 100 bucks on fins. So look past the rubber bands, flip transformer styles, splits, NASA engineered water directing channels, etc and buy a set of fins. Paddle, put springs on em, and dive. Or since you don't have the chance to try a bunch out go to a shop in Australia and buy them there where you can.

AWAP is right. Luckily the shop I deal with has an onsite pool and will let anyone try out any piece of gear before they buy.

USD Blades are still my favorite which I prefer over my jets. They still show up on ebay quite regularly at pretty good prices but that is not a good option with your time constraint.

I agree with RJP.

The only objective fin review could be done only on a machine measuing force, efficiency, direction of fluid flow and various/sundry other characteristics.

What I'm seeing on the market nowadays is not unlike new gimmicks for golfers.

Some of the new fins look as if they were designed by the same designers who are developing some of the new putters that look like the Star Ship Enterprise.

If it looks radical and different then it must be superior.

I've noticed, however, that the fins on fishes haven't evolved into such radical shapes over the millenia . . .

the K

What sort of fins are you looking to get? Do you need speed or maneuverability etc?
Basically these are my thoughts:
2. Splits are best for speed, surface swims, works best with flutter kicks n generally not that maneuverable. Great for recreational diving. Atomics smoke are ok but long n not quite as durable as the apollos. Apollos are the standard for me when it comes to splits but are heavy n can feel floppy when you first try them.
SangP

'floppy' is a relative term, of course, but if you want a 'firmer' Apollo fin, go for the XT version. (I own 3 pairs of the 'floppy' :) ones and 1 pair of the XT ones) , and I was surprised at the contrast the first time I dove the XT's.....they were substantially stiffer...I was like 'WOW!"......but honestly, I think I like the 'floppy' ones better, so that's what I'm diving as my 'main' fins.

Trying them out is an issue. Very few shop will let you try them out or have facilities to do so. Did you think you were going to a shoe store?

Enee memee minee moe....

...actually, if he was shopping for fins at Scubatoys, it would be kinda like going to a shoe store. :)

I have the Hollis F-1's. Aqualung Blades-the old version not the blades 2 they are junk IMO, Rockets, had a set of the old Pulse's(good fin just did not fit my boots), Aeris Vectors, and some off brand cheapos that I picked up with a bunch of other gear. THEY ALL WORK. To different degrees. What kind of diving are you planning to do? Most impoirtant how much do you have to spend? Walmart fins?NO! Dicks Sporting good fins? NO! Most any brand name fin from any dive shop in the world as a new or newer recreational diver? YES! I could not see a whole lot of difference in my blades, rockets, V-12 splits, Aeris Vectors, etc as a new diver. It was once I got my weighting, trim ,and fine buoyancy control dialed in that fins "seemed" to make a big difference. And for certain kicks they do. But to this day I can move just as efficiently with most any fin using a basic flutter or scissor kick. I do PREFER my Hollis's and Blades over any other that I've tried so far including jets. But that is just me. The blades are no longer made, the Hollis's are expensive relatively speaking. If I had not gotten the deal I did I;d most likley be using jets. Cheap, damn near indestructible, and with springs they are the shizzle. There is no good reason for a new or newer diver to go out and spend more than 100 bucks on fins. So look past the rubber bands, flip transformer styles, splits, NASA engineered water directing channels, etc and buy a set of fins. Paddle, put springs on em, and dive. Or since you don't have the chance to try a bunch out go to a shop in Australia and buy them there where you can.

AWAP is right. Luckily the shop I deal with has an onsite pool and will let anyone try out any piece of gear before they buy.

......I'm guessin' any college student who can afford a dive trip to Australia (all the way from NY) isn't terribly concerned about fin pricing. :)

I would think so to. But I assisted in the training of one three years ago who sold everything to go and while there washed dishes, did odd jobs, etc and slept in hostels. Kinda like the kids in the 70's who went to Europe on a shoestring and the only thing they had of real value was their return ticket! Knowing what I know now I might have taken a chance and dumped everything for a once in a lifetime trip.

I'll break it down basic for the OP

pick any of the following and you'll probably be ok, as these are proven performers for years. They may not be the best fin for you, but they will meet the "good enough" criteria

Mares Superchannel or X3
Force Fin Pro
Apollo Bio-Fin- if you really like splits for some unknown reason you might as well buy the ones that actually work (well sort of)

sure there are others, Blades are ok but they are long, Jets are only really acceptable if you only use a frog kick, Hollis F1 is a much improved Jet fin, but still best for frog kicks.

meesier42:
Jets are only really acceptable if you only use a frog kick

Not true. They are great for frog kick, but also work quite well with other kicks. If I have to swim against a strong current, my choice is Jets with a flutter kick.

Back
Top Bottom