Obama Fishing Ban, What is next.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not going to read the whole thread.... would be a waste of my time. If people are going to run with nonsense like this, makes you wonder how much other nonsense they take at face value. Use your heads folks.

Amendment 17A is real, and is an official government document. There is nothing to believe.
Amendment 17A clearly outlines complete bottom fishing ban in most of the east coast of Florida. This is not an opinion or a hoax, its a document that will make its way to Obama for a signature in June.

Derogatory posts like the one above and others contribute nothing to this thread.:focus:

BTW DrBill over the years I did not take you for a Flamer :(

Yeah, I agree and apologize for my 'off topic' post. I will remove it....

Last edited:
Amendment 17A is real, and is an official government document. There is nothing to believe.
Amendment 17A clearly outlines complete bottom fishing ban in most of the east coast of Florida. This is not an opinion or a hoax, its a document that will make its way to Obama for a signature in June.

Derogatory posts like the one above and others contribute nothing to this thread.:focus:

BTW DrBill over the years I did not take you for a Flamer :(

Once again people read before you rant.

The famous Amendment 17A does not outline a compete bottom fishing ban. It targeting a specific species of fish and that is the Red Snapper.

I'm providing the link to the South Atlantic Fisheries Management Council Amendment 17a.

If I'm misreading it, I apologize.

http://www.safmc.net/Portals/6/Library/FMP/SnapGroup/Amend17Asummary.pdf

Amend17Asummary.pdf

Once again people read before you rant.

The famous Amendment 17A does not outline a compete bottom fishing ban. It targeting a specific species of fish and that is the Red Snapper.

I'm providing the link to the South Atlantic Fisheries Management Council Amendment 17a.

If I'm misreading it, I apologize.

http://www.safmc.net/Portals/6/Library/FMP/SnapGroup/Amend17Asummary.pdf

Amend17Asummary.pdf

I suggest you follow your advice
The council recommends that all grouper/snapper fishing was banned to protect the red snapper.
I supplied the official links that outline this in previous posts.

EDIT: look at post #10

The Op linked to an article filled with lies. When questions by sane people the article was amended by the publisher and later noted as "opinion" and no longer “fact”. After further scrutiny the article was eventually exposed as nothing more than lies and retracted entirely by the publisher.

Politically biased blogs took the "information" from that sad excuse for “journalism” and began screaming the lies as loud as they could.

Simply put: "Obama was going to make all forms of fishing in the United States illegal."

Stupid, ignorant sheep read these blogs and were dumb enough to believe them. Very stupid people indeed.

Educated people tried to explain the truth to these stupid people but like children they were incapable of understand even slightly complex thoughts.

Which brings us to today. Everyone now knows Obama is going to ban all forms of fishing in the United States.

Actually the article was not pulled. Its still there Public input period for federal fishery strategy has ended - ESPN

I missed the part where R. Montgomery said that Obama will make all fishing in US illegal. Mind giving me the quote?. However his administration did appoint a task force that publicly recommends to close a large area of the East coast of FL.
And the Council he appointed has the power to do the same for other areas. All Obama has to do is not respond to their recommendations, and the recommendations become a law.
Another major concern is the Gulf Coast. The task Force is quiet on the subject, but there were some leaks that they plan to ban all red snapper harvest. If their recommendations will be similar to the South Atlantic branch, than we might be fighting a all snapper and grouper ban as well.

Fortunately due to the noise 17A caused there are politicians that vow to support the recreational fisherman, and fight any recreational fishing ban including the ban in 17A

The article might be classified as an opinion, but I challenge you to find any quote that has been fabricated.
BTW: The article is about the Task Force and their recommendations including amendment 17A

Actually the article was not pulled. Its still there Public input period for federal fishery strategy has ended - ESPN

I missed the part where R. Montgomery said that Obama will make all fishing in US illegal.

The original article was pulled and it was titled, "Pres. Obama Now Wants to Ban Sports Fishing,"

Lets not forget what I posted above either (See below). Since I have not seen the changes myself I have to rely on what I would hopefully think is scientific data for facts regarding this issue. I would also hope rebuilding the fisheries would allow future fishing grounds and bring about more pro-active regulations rather than re-active. I don't believe anyone (Well other than PETA etc.) are out to ruin recreational fishing and are in fact trying to save it for future generations.

"The bulk of red snapper landings are from the recreational fishery, with recreational landings exceeding commercial landings by 2-3 fold over the assessment period. Between 2000 and 2006, the recreational sector accounted for about 72% of total red snapper landings."

"The discard mortality rate, or the number of fish that die even when they are released, is estimated at 40% for the recreational fishery and 90% for the commercial fishery"

"Red snapper live to 54 years of age, but in 2007 less than one percent of the population was estimated as being age 10 or older."

I missed the part where R. Montgomery said that Obama will make all fishing in US illegal. Mind giving me the quote?. However his administration did appoint a task force that publicly recommends to close a large area of the East coast of FL.
And the Council he appointed has the power to do the same for other areas. All Obama has to do is not respond to their recommendations, and the recommendations become a law.
Another major concern is the Gulf Coast. The task Force is quiet on the subject, but there were some leaks that they plan to ban all red snapper harvest. If their recommendations will be similar to the South Atlantic branch, than we might be fighting a all snapper and grouper ban as well.

Fortunately due to the noise 17A caused there are politicians that vow to support the recreational fisherman, and fight any recreational fishing ban including the ban in 17A

The article might be classified as an opinion, but I challenge you to find any quote that has been fabricated.
BTW: The article is about the Task Force and their recommendations including amendment 17A

"Might" have been opinion?

The "revised" story from Robert Montgomery after he got caught lying:

Public input period for federal fishery strategy has ended - ESPN

The lame excuses from the editor after they were busted doing a hatchet job on the truth:

ESPNOutdoors.com: From the editor - ESPN

But none of that is what sane people are taking issue with. It was not what the ESPN article said directly. It's that it was used as "evidence" by the moron noise machine to claim Obama was going to ban all fishing in the US.

Drudge picked up the story and shortly thereafter bloggers began acting like jackasses.

"Obama’s Latest Assault on Freedom– New Regulations Will Ban Sport Fishing"
Gateway Pundit

Fox news had their standard respect for journalism ethics:

Obama to ban Sport Fishing?
Obama to Ban Sport Fishing? | The FOX Nation

There are many, many more examples.

It was these lies and distortions that convinced stupid people that Obama was going to ban fishing in the US. One particularly "unique" person began a thread yesterday on this very subject linking to yet another blog claiming this total falsehood. That thread was filled with so much stupidity it had to be nuked from the site.

Just look at the title of this thread: Obama Fishing ban, What is next

Not exactly people interested in discussing the truth are they?

Here is a fun article on the subject:

ESPN claims Obama is about to ban fishing

The original article was pulled and it was titled, "Pres. Obama Now Wants to Ban Sports Fishing,"

Lets not forget what I posted above either (See below). Since I have not seen the changes myself I have to rely on what I would hopefully think is scientific data for facts regarding this issue. I would also hope rebuilding the fisheries would allow future fishing grounds and bring about more pro-active regulations rather than re-active. I don't believe anyone (Well other than PETA etc.) are out to ruin recreational fishing and are in fact trying to save it for future generations.

"The bulk of red snapper landings are from the recreational fishery, with recreational landings exceeding commercial landings by 2-3 fold over the assessment period. Between 2000 and 2006, the recreational sector accounted for about 72% of total red snapper landings."

"The discard mortality rate, or the number of fish that die even when they are released, is estimated at 40% for the recreational fishery and 90% for the commercial fishery"

"Red snapper live to 54 years of age, but in 2007 less than one percent of the population was estimated as being age 10 or older."

I don't think anyone will dispute the need to manage our fishery in a sustainable way.

First a couple of facts. By far the commercial fishery has the highest red snapper catch (known as by-catch and not recognized as a "landing") recreational fishery doesn't even come close.

The red snapper data is flawed (The Task force admitted this, and fixing the flaws is on their agenda) and there is some evidence that red snapper is not in any danger of overfishing. As a matter of fact the influx of juvenile red snapper is tainting the data.
However I'm not sure I would agree with this. My position is to be safe than sorry and it is important to get accurate data to make an informed decision.
SAFMC chose to act before this data is available. I will not blame them. They are in a very difficult position due to the Magnuson-Stevens Act
I will blame their tactics.
Their plan is to close a large (no, a HUGE) area to all bottom fishing on the east coast of Florida and Georgia http://www.safmc.net/Portals/6/images/17A 3C small file.jpg
The reason I say all bottom fishing, is because to enforce the grouper/snapper ban all bottom fishing gear will be prohibited in zone 3C
This general closure is not necessary, and if enacted will devastate Florida and probably to some extent Georgia. There are other alternatives to reach the goals for red snapper.
Further more. Amendment 17A will set a precedence for the Gulf Coast Regional Branch, and if they follow suit it will further destroy the economy in Florida. Recreational fishing is a multi-billion industry and in Florida grouper and snapper is the staple of recreational fishing and boating.

Assuming the data you quoted is correct, The Task Force has a responsibility to solve the overfishing without killing a state that already is one of the hardest hit in our economy.

There are other options than an all out bottom fishing ban

Thanx for taking my challenge.

So you couldn't find even one quote that was fabricated in the article?
You do point to other sources that not once were mentioned in this thread and have nothing to do with the ban on recreational fishing. So forgive me, but I wont read them. The left/right wing bickering doesn't interest me and I will not take part in it. IMHO it has no place on a hunting forum.
Fishing regulations do have a place here imho and the article very effectively points out an issue that if not brought to light would become a law.

Could it be that you are blinded by the bickering, and fail to see what 17A means to recreational fishing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom