Oahu, Maui and Big Island in Feb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jon Shaw

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I will be in Oahu, Maui and Big Island in Feb 2010 and wanted to know if there are any dives that are real stunners.
I am planning on doing the Kona Manta Night dive but I'm sure there must be some other great dives. I am open for suggestions whether it's wrecks, caves, reef, etc etc.

Any advice on dive operators too?

Will the water be about 25C?

Cheers

Jon

Using the search function and looking at the stickies might result in questions worth answering.

There are some lovely dives on Oahu. Try Airplane Canyon, Ewa Pinnacles, and the Baby Barge for starters. The Mahi (wreck), Makaha Caverns, and Papio Pass are also fun (the latter is more mellow than exciting). If you're experienced and in good physical condition (getting to the entry point and returning from the exit point requires some climbing, you see), Lanai Lookout is a sensational shore dive. I'm yet to dive the nearby Blowhole, but I've heard it's great also. If your dive operator doesn't go to either of those places, please find an experienced guide to take you (you'll find plenty on this board!), as conditions need to be just-so to ensure a safe dive.

I hope you return during the summer months, when conditions on the North Shore are favorable to divers. That way, you can experience the wonders of North Shore shore-diving. Firehouse, Three Tables, and Shark's Cove are truly wonderful sites, and I never tire of them.

As for water temperature, you will be fine in a 5mm suit. However, if you plan on living underwater while you're here, consider something slightly thicker, or at least bring a decrepit jacket to wear over your wetsuit during surface intervals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom