Oahu in January questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebrasil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Guys,
I will be hitting oahu for the first time January 07. I plan to do many dives and do some surfing. I have a few questions and was wondering if you could help me.

1) What wetsuit should I bring? When I went to big island and maui I had my semi-dry 5mm and it works well, but now I have a new 3/2mm surfing wetsuit. Should I just bring the surfing wetsuit?

2) I read on the forum that car rental isn't that much necessary cause dive ops pick up in the airport. Is it really that efficient? and what if I wanna go around the island and do some surfing, can I get around by public transportation?

3) What would you name the top 3 dive sites in the island?

4) Is anybody here down for a beach dive when I get there?

Thanks so much for helping!

Top three commercial dives of mine

Sea caves

Sea Tiger

Yo257

My son takes the bus all over, I never have but he seems to get wherever he wants to go (13)

January water will be around 74-75. I wear a 3 with a hood or my 5. As long as I get dry and warm between dives, I am okay.

Thanks. Any more tips?

There aren't too many shore dive spots right now, most are on the north shore and its not diveable this time of year (20ft waves). But you can still find some good spots to shore dive...just be careful what you leave on the beach as it can easily find a new owner.

Public trans is great in the south side of the island. Options become less as you move to the windward/leeward sides. If you are looking to surf the north shore there are a few lines that run out there but you may have to plan carefully, or risk getting stuck there for a night. If you dont plan on leaving the southern side then you can manage without a car.

Most dive ops have pick up service. However im not sure how far out they go. I know for fact they pick you up pretty much anywhere in honolulu, you would have to ask the op you are using.

I wear boardshorts and thermal top. Most wear 3mm-5mm.

I see you are from HB...in cali? Right on bro!! I lived in newport on 15th for a few years.

Hey, thanks for the tips. I will actually stay in waikiki. I heard that there would be many dive spots as although the north shore is huge, the west and south areas are very calm. If I am not mistaken, a lot of the wrecks are right in front of waikiki.
I surf, but won't be surfing NS, just watching. I plan to surf beaches with smaller waves, nothing over 5 or 6ft. Do you know waves to surf or longboard in the winter?

Thanks a lot

PS: Yes, I am in Cali.

If you are looking to get around the island to surf I don't think it will be too easy to travel around the Island with your board on the bus. It does have an attachment to carry bikes, but I don't think it works for boards.

As Catherine says the water temps will be in the mid 70's. My first year here I thought it was warm. I am slowing thinking of a warmer suit. It all depends on you and what temps you are used to.

As for dive sites you might want to look at this list

Edit: Yes, there are 3 wrecks right off Waikiki - Sea Tiger, YO-257 and the San Pedro (and Wings too)

but depending which op you choose they will drive you to the shores of the other sites on the East and West shores.

Thanks. Would anybody else like to share their favorite dive spots in Oahu?
Or any other tips, like a good place to eat, have drinks, or a nice place to visit. For instance, in Maui, doing the sunrise over the volcano and biking it all the way down was awesome!

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom