Oahu Diving Next Month

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulc

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all. I've been occasionally lurking since I posted looking for Chris Wade, who I dove with early this year with my in-laws. No luck getting in touch with Chris or Pearl, so now I'm wondering if I can get some recommends on diving ops for December. We will be two PADI OW divers with about a year and a half's experience and one 25 yr. AOW (me). Not looking for particularly deep dives, but it's nice to get off the beaten path. A skilled and laid-back leader who's not into sheep herding will be a big plus. We've done the Koko Head caves, the Corsair and a couple of other dives on the SW side. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Aloha! :coffee:

Pretty much all "wreck" diving deep this time of year. Have you dove with AAA? Big boat, not many divers.

Try Reef Pirates or Deep Ecology (I don't work for either of them, but I like thier operations). Both companies are small and are run by cool people. AAA is well.......My mother always said if you don't have anything nice to say.......

CW works at Sea Life park.

Deep E is on the north shore, mostly blown out now untill May.

Deep Ecology has many regulars who dive with them year-round. Diving the wrecks with them is pretty similar to most of the other shops, meet 'em at the boat or catch a ride from the shop. Staying on the North Shore is a less metro vacation and many are looking for that.

Diamond Head Divers (Boat is the Enzo) has a great operation out of Kewalo Harbor. Very friendly and knowledgeable staff with great prices. My husband and I have been diving with Captain Mike since 2004. The Enzo is very nice and spacious. Less worry about motion sickness with a double hull. Mike runs a late-morning 2-tank shallow dive every day. Lots of critters and on the south shore, and you never know what you're going to see. This is your best bet for winter diving on Oahu.

I like DH diver’s a whole lot they’re a great operation but they are not ‘off the beaten path’. Kewalo basin (south side diving) is squarely on the beaten path. That being said I think that the YO-257 is one of the best (if not the best) wreck dives on Oahu.
I think that at this time of year the best diving is going to be most consistently found in the southeast or the west (depending on wind and swells the day you want to dive).
On the SE the most off the beaten path you’ll be able to commercially dive would be: Big Sea Cave, Palea Point (AWESOME), Baboon Nose (AWESOME) , and Spitting Cave (all found in the SE where you went out to dive the Corsair). These sites are all wind dependent. I’d say that most operators are happy to go to Palea Point a couple times a month.
On the west side request Black Rock, and Stars. If you want off the beaten path avoid Makaha Caverns (though it is a GREAT dive), Land of Oz (sucks) and Mahi (not as cool as it used to be).
I’m sure everyone else has their own favorites, but these are probably the least dove sites you’ll be able to get to.

Is there really a boat dive on this island that is truly "Off the beaten path?" Commercially speaking, that is. I know of at least 2 charter companies that hit every one of those dives Lazyturtle mentioned, at least 3-4 times a week. OC & Cpt Bruce have the monopoly on the west side and IDH has the Nori Z in Hawaii Kai. There is at least one other boat that runs out of Hawaii Kai but I can't think of the name.

I was going off the comment that paulc was looking for a nice, easy dive not too deep, lots of cool stuff to see. South Shore is diveable almost 365 days a year. West side is also great in December, but I'm not sure about the availability of shallow dives.

If you are looking for a dive that is relatively untouched, the Blow Hole and Lanai Lookout are wonderful dives. However, the conditions have to be spectacular. i.e. flat conditions, no trades. These are not dives for beginners.

hey does anyone have the coordinates for baboon Nose? I had just told Rockjock we should try for that Sunday. Is there a bouy? I cannot remember. We might just try and drift it if this stays flat.

yes, there are off the path commercial dives. Nori Z mostly. Also Pirate Divers, I hear will take you anywhere. Nori Z does some "secret spots" on request.

Yes, I second Mike and the Enzo...although sometimes he rushes a bit due to his multiple charters. Good guy, good boat.

He will do 100 ft. hole if he can..that is off the beaten path.

I like most of the operators for one thing or another.

Honey Ann is next to our boat....they operate out of Hawaii Kai. (ko-ko marina)

As does Devon (Aquazone) In fact, I like Aquazone a lot. Safe, knowledgable...do the best dives, nice boats, etc. They have the pool at the Marriotte....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom