Oahu 20-26 July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rugbydiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

I'm leaving the mountains for the beach -- got a mate who is stationed out there, and I can't argue with the price for a room.

As a result, am looking for recommendations for a week's trip. I'm thinking a couple days of diving, a couple days jumping out of planes, a couple (failing at) surfing, and then whatever other suggestions may be out there.

I've heard that the YO257 (IIRC) is good from a boat dive, and that there's some good shore diving as well.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated, and if anyone has some free time, let's dive.

DH

the Yo is a nice wreck dive.
As far as shore dives goes check out 3 Tables, Shark's Cove and Electric Beach. If you're not familar there is a great shore diving website:shorediving.com. It details how to get to most of the shore dives in Hawaii, and provides a little commentary about them.

I would definitely take advantage of being able to shore dive the North Shore while you're here. Three Tables is my favorite, but Shark's Cove and Firehouse are also good dives. If you plan to go on the weekend, make sure you go early to get parking.

Lots of wrecks to choose from. The YO-257 is good as previously mentioned. The San Pedro is another wreck nearby that can be done on the same dive if the conditions are ok. Another wreck in the general area is the Sea Tiger.

On the east side the most well known wreck is the Corsair - a small plane. On the west side is the Mahi, which is typically paired with Makaha Caverns as a second dive. That particular combination of dives is one of my favorites.

As for the other kind of diving:

The only commercial skydiving ops are at Dillingham Airfield. Go north toward Haleiwa and hang a left toward Kaena Point. I flung myself out of perfectly good airplanes with SkyDive Hawaii back when they were a family-owned op; the Black's. This was in '83, just before the tragedy when the old man, sons Bobby and Danny Black, and about a half-dozen others augered into Pearl Harbor aboard their twin Beech D-18. It's most likely a different op now with a different crew but using the same company name.

There're also commercial sailplanes op there. And an old quarry that's used by some local rock-climbers.

Cheers for the tips on the dive spots (both scuba and sky). Next question -- anyone available during the week to go get wet? Always nice to get a local's perspective. As a rugby player, skydiver and scuba diver, I feel it's only appropriate to offer up the first round or two as compensation for putting you through the misery of going diving. :)

BM -- You've confirmed what I've heard from others regarding the skydiving ops -- seems that there's no real animosity between the two setups, both are primarily tandem-oriented, so you have to get there early or else you don't get a fun jump in (unless you bring a tandem student with you).

Getting close to flight time (well, a day or two away) and that means I'm excitedly packing up all my dive gear. Was wondering if anyone is around on the weekdays to go diving. My buddy has to work M-F, so we're heading out on the weekend.

Anyone want to dodge work to get wet this and/or next week?

We have a club dive on Sunday. If your buddy is a diver, have him set you up for some dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom