O2 partial pressure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

copied from PADI training bulletin first quarter 2000

'Effective immediately, instructors who offer Enriched Air Diver courses may integrate the two required training dives with other PADI continuing education courses. This does not apply to PADI Scuba Diver and Open Water Diver. Specifically, PADI Enriched Air Diver students who are also enrolled in another PADI course may complete their Enriched Air Dives at the same time they complete other training dives. To take advantage of this option, student divers must complete the knowledge development portion of the Enriched Air Diver course prior to making either of the required enriched air dives.
For example:
• The student diver completes Enriched Air Diver course knowledge development and is ready to begin the diving portion of the course.
• The student signs up for an Underwater Photography Adventure Dive (to credit toward the Advanced Open Water Diver certification).
• The instructor integrates the Enriched Air Training Dive with the Underwater Photography Adventure Dive by using enriched air on the photo dive. The student analyzes the gas before the dive and otherwise follows the parameters of enriched air diving while completing the photo dive requirements.

This practice departs from the usual practice of not combining training dive requirements for two courses in a single dive. The training dives for the Enriched Air Diver course permit this exception because they have no skill development role, but a transfer of learning role only. That is, the dives transfer knowledge and skills learned during knowledge development and practical application to actual use in the dive environment. Transfer of learning
is essential (which is why the course requires the dives), but it makes it feasible to include skill development (as well as transfer) for other specialty training. Note that because the Enriched Air Training Dives foster transfer of learning, student divers must complete all knowledge development and practical application requirements prior to the training dives.
This specific procedure may also be applied to instructor-level training.'

That clearly states that TWO training dives are necessary. I don't know of them being cancelled or changed in any later training bulletin. - Apologies for copying an update to the manual rather than from the genuine instructor manual for the course - I don't have the electronic version here at work, however, it does clearly say that two dives are necessary.

If people near you are offering the PADI course without the dives, then they are breaking the PADI rules.

The TDI course is different, yes, it doesn't require two dives.

My point was that PÄDI require the dives, and it isn't a dry course as you suggested in your earlier post (top post on this page:- PADI's is a 1 night 3hr class), and that any price / regional difference must not be due to different requirement (within the same agency) as PADI standards are the same wherever you do a PADI course. Similarly, TDI courses are the same wherever you do them.

In this case PADI requires two dives, and TDI doesn't.

Jon T

PS apologies to the PADI Police for copying your training bulletin, however, if it uncovers people regularly breaking your rules I'm sure you will forgive me.

PPS Please?

Basic Nitrox from TDI costs around 130 US$ or 170 US$ with two dives.
Dives are optional, since you have nothing special to do uw

Sue

At the time I was calling around, I was also discussing doing my Rescue cert. Although I wasn't told by the PADI shop I'd have to take the 2 courses together, I can see where they may have made that assumption.

Either way Frog, I still highly recommend the class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom