O2 onboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

usmarinekurt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I am contemplating buying a pricey item I hope I never use.
Why doe this feel like a rip off?

I think if you use your boat for diving the O2 kit should be on the must have list. Yes, it is a little pricey but hopefully, you will never have to use it. But it is one of those items that if you don't buy one, you will certainly need it.

I got a MADA kit.
Basic for now.
Alot of ooo and aahing by the divers on the boat.

If you are hitting remote areas, most kits dont give you enough O2. We put a LP 120 ofoxygen on the Scarab and set a reg To go to 14 fsw for some inwater use. cant have enough O2 when you're way out there. super cheap insurance.

Attachments

• img016.jpg
    img016.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 323
  • img017.jpg
    img017.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 296
looks cool

That's the main thing! :) DAN sells a spiffy "Oxygen Onboard" sticker if you want to show off!

I have a small DAN kit, but generally also have a larger bottle of O2 on board as well. Much of my diving is in Tobermory and not too far from shore, but at times we are as much as 35 miles out. Any O2-cleaned cylinder can be used as a spare supply of O2 as long as you are happy to fit a regular SCUBA reg, rather than an O2 mask.

If you are hitting remote areas, most kits dont give you enough O2. We put a LP 120 ofoxygen on the Scarab and set a reg To go to 14 fsw for some inwater use. cant have enough O2 when you're way out there. super cheap insurance.

Get a longer high flow hose, 3/8" ID or bigger, that will go down to 20', put a T on it and run two 2nd stages on 10' whips. Put ball valves after the T so you can shut off the 2nd stages when not in use as 2nd stages will free flow in any current.

Now a 2 diver team can do 100% boat suppled at 20 and 10.

You can use a large scuba tank or just a 100-300 foot tank of O2 and a high flow welding regulator.

Get a longer high flow hose, 3/8" ID or bigger, that will go down to 20', put a T on it and run two 2nd stages on 10' whips. Put ball valves after the T so you can shut off the 2nd stages when not in use as 2nd stages will free flow in any current.

Now a 2 diver team can do 100% boat suppled at 20 and 10.

You can use a large scuba tank or just a 100-300 foot tank of O2 and a high flow welding regulator.

Ball vales should be avoided on oxygen systems. My first exposure to the prohibition was in the Navy and has been consistent throughout my career. The reasoning is that ball valves generate high velocity through rapid pressurization. Any particles in the gas stream can reach sufficient speeds to ignite. Obviously, the risk is much less on low pressure systems; but it is still considered a bad practice.

Here is one of many references:
http://www.americanairworks.com/Oxygen_Safety_Practices.pdf

See 2.2. Pneumatic Impact or Compression Heating, Page 3

Back
Top Bottom