O2 fills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O2BBubbleFree

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm a rebreather wannabe and curious...

I've heard a rumor that you must have a perscription to get O2 tanks filled. Is that a fact? Would a DAN O2 provider card make it easier?

Can most LDSs fill O2 tanks? Who else can?

Thanks.

3dent:
Hi guys,

I've heard a rumor that you must have a perscription to get O2 tanks filled. Is that a fact? Would a DAN O2 provider card make it easier?

Thanks.

I buy banked Oxygen staight from my welding provider. I use aviation grade and have been using it for 15 years.

In Mass, you need a Rx, or an understanding dive shop. Most shops in MA dont use O2 for anything, wont fill a scuba tank with it, and dont know much of anything about rebreathers or for that matter, decompression diving. Luckily, up here we have a couple of shops that are with it, the owners dive rebreathers, and they will gladly fill rebreather bottles. Here's wishing you good luck that you can find the same in TX.

3dent:
Hi guys,

Thanks.

My dad had an airplane. I routinely purchased "ABO" (aviators breathing Oxygen) from a local commercial (welding and other processes) supplier. We maintained a 4 cylinder bank from which we would refill the cylinder in the plane. When a tank fell to below about 800 psi I'd use it for cutting oxygen until ~100 psi.

Never ever had anybody question why we wanted ABO, never needed a script, no biggie at all.

If your looking for gas ask the suppliers for ABO.

regards,

ch

Medical grade oxygen is typically not permitted to be distributed without a prescription. However, that depends on the local law of the jurisdiction.

Aviator grade oxygen, which is the same thing (the differences between the two are not significant insofar as diving is concerned), is quite acceptable per blending standards for scuba diving. This is what almost everyone uses including the dive shops.

There are other grades of commercial oxygen such as grades suitable for welding. These grades are not acceptable for diving.

I purchase oxygen directly from a supplier in 200 plus cubic foot tanks. I also buy helium this way. After transfilling into my scuba tanks, I then take my tanks to a local dive shop that filters its air in an acceptable way for use in oxygen service environments. They complete the fill with air for me.

I would even fill air myself but I live in a high rise condo. I can just imagine how happy it would make my neighbors if I were running a compressor in my unit. As it is, you should see the looks I get when I am carting in helium tanks.

To learn more about this subject, you can take a gas blender course at your local dive shop. Even if you don't plan on mixing for yourself, it is still interesting and fun to know about how it is done.

The dive shops around ehre don't have it but I fill my own. Like Curt I buy O2, he and argon right from a welding supply house.

Thanks for all the great info. I knew that aviators used O2, but wasn't sure it was the answer to the problem. I figured I'd have to go to a light plane airport for it, or something.

WRT the gas blending education, I am planning that.

On a related-but-not-rebreather issue, I've also considered taking the DAN O2 provider course. If I had a medical bottle on my boat, would the DAN O2 card be enough to get it filled with medical grade O2, or would you also use 'avgas.' (I know, I know, avgas is slang for high-octane gasoline)

Thanks, again.

3dent:
[...] I've also considered taking the DAN O2 provider course. If I had a medical bottle on my boat, would the DAN O2 card be enough to get it filled with medical grade O2, or would you also use 'avgas.' [...]

An odd situation here on the Big Island -- I can (and do) buy all the ABO I want from my
local gas supplier (Gaspro - BOC Gasses), no problem. However, they want a prescription
to fill my DAN O2 bottle. Go figure.

Fortunately for me getting a prescription for O2 was easy (my brother-in-law
is a physician).

3dent:
Thanks for all the great info. I knew that aviators used O2, but wasn't sure it was the answer to the problem. I figured I'd have to go to a light plane airport for it, or something.

WRT the gas blending education, I am planning that.

On a related-but-not-rebreather issue, I've also considered taking the DAN O2 provider course. If I had a medical bottle on my boat, would the DAN O2 card be enough to get it filled with medical grade O2, or would you also use 'avgas.' (I know, I know, avgas is slang for high-octane gasoline)

Thanks, again.

Just get some aviator grade O2 from the nearest welding supply company.

DAN O2

Here is the short course version

remove injured diver from the water

1. Turn on oxygen cylinder.
2. dial in 10-15 LPM
3. Fill the bag on the non-rebreather mask by holding thumb over valve between the face place and the bag
4. place non-rebreather mask over mouth and nose
5. Pinch the nose strip and tighten strap behind their head
6. Transport to shore and call for help

You want your cert card now

Curt Bowen:
DAN O2

Here is the short course version

You want your cert card now

Good one! I was actually only going to get the card if I needed it to get fills. Or, I suppose, if it would help protect me from some litigious diver that I happened to help out. Not sure if administering O2 would be covered by the ‘Good Samaritan laws...

My wife’s an RN, and can tell me more than I would ever want to know about administering O2.

Send the DAN card to...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom