O2 cleaning.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kr2y5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a bunch of regulators and tanks that I use with EAN50 and O2, and the time is approaching when I may want to crack them open to see if all is fine and dandy. I have training in regulator service and VIP, but nothing specifically to deal with O2. I have looked around a bit, and it seems that for whatever strange reason, classes that deal with O2 are generally meant for shop employees. I am, so far, only equipped with Oxygen Hacker's companion, and some amount of common sense, and I'm not quite sure that is enough. What are my options?

basically have a dedicated set of o-ring picks and what not to prevent cross contamination of lube, and do an ultrasonic bath in simple green, I prefer the crystal to avoid the actual green bit. I don't bother O2 cleaning second stages, it isn't necessary. First stage and valves are all that get it from me

Last edited:
After reading that USN PDF on O2 cleaning someone linked earlier I'm surprised Simple Green is so widely used. Partially because it does have organic components in the formulation (organic as in chemistry, not "natural"), but mainly because of their findings on which materials (metals, plastics, and o-rings) were discolored or corroded by simple green (diluted and at 100 F - barely above body temp.) I suppose folks don't clean regs for too long in simple green solutions, but seems like you'd want to avoid prolonged soaking or higher temps.

OTOH, it was clear from that Navy Tech Report that their "Inorganic Alkali Cleaning solution" was being developed, patented, and would be sold to the Navy by a smallish company. As a chemist I have a pretty good idea about the cost to manufacture the relatively simple components in that mix, and I'm sure they were selling it to the Navy for an astronomical markup. It was probably in someone's interest to make all other O2 cleaning options look bad. I guess my cynical side is showing.

Edit: that USN pdf was posted in a different thread (from 2014). Sorry:
http://infohouse.p2ric.org/ref/14/13872.pdf

tell that to Rick Allen's left arm.... or what's left of it. The article is valid in terms of it only being truly O2 clean while under a controlled environment, but that doesn't excuse using silicone lube, nitrile o-rings etc etc

tell that to Rick Allen's left arm.... or what's left of it. The article is valid in terms of it only being truly O2 clean while under a controlled environment, but that doesn't excuse using silicone lube, nitrile o-rings etc etc

I'm not sure his point was to be stupid. I think it was more to place oxygen clean on a spectrum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom