O2 cleaning w/ TSP?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KD8NPB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone have a procedure written out for utilizing TSP for O2 cleaning?

I'd like to clean my LP72s for O2 service, since I am almost done assembling my partial pressure blending rig. However, they've seen about 50 years of air use. Granted, they're crystal clean on the inside (They almost look like aluminum internally...definitely have been tumbled with glass beads before).

I know a lot of shops swear by Blue Gold or Crystal Simple Green, but I don't entirely trust them. I have used both in the automotive field, and know how ineffective they are for parts washing.

TSP seems like a safer (and cheaper) alternative to vapor degreasers like N-pB solvents or 3m Novec.

I've never heard of anyone using TSP for tank cleaning. Simple green in a hot water at least has a track record of success. Solvents at least ones that you do not want to be breathing traces of seem like a bad idea. If your worried about the tank it may be worth tumbling it first with abrasive pellets which will take most anything off, and then following up with a detergent like simple green. Of course the conventional wisdom is the valve is more of a problem due the small passages ways and the relatively higher gas velocities there. For the valve detergent in a ultrasonic cleaner would be a good idea.

Are you sure the TSP would not rust the tank and cause problems?

I've never heard of anyone using TSP for tank cleaning. Simple green in a hot water at least has a track record of success. Solvents at least ones that you do not want to be breathing traces of seem like a bad idea. If your worried about the tank it may be worth tumbling it first with abrasive pellets which will take most anything off, and then following up with a detergent like simple green. Of course the conventional wisdom is the valve is more of a problem due the small passages ways and the relatively higher gas velocities there. For the valve detergent in a ultrasonic cleaner would be a good idea.

Are you sure the TSP would not rust the tank and cause problems?

You wouldn't want to be breathing traces of Simple Green either. For oxygen applications, the tank should swab 0% presence of your detergent of choice; it should be COMPLETELY rinsed from the vessel. Thus, breathing traces of anything should be a non-issue.

From what I've heard, with both the Navy & NOAA, trisodium phosphate & trichloroethylene were the cleaners of choice. OSHA specifies the use of caustic soda or TSP for cleaning high pressure oxygen systems.

With that being said though, TSP must be heated for application, as well as the rinse water must be heated to ensure complete removal. I would rather put in the extra work to ensure cleanliness rather than risk an oxygen fire. I was curious if anyone had process sheet worked out for it.

From what I've heard, with both the Navy & NOAA, trisodium phosphate & trichloroethylene were the cleaners of choice. OSHA specifies the use of caustic soda or TSP for cleaning high pressure oxygen systems. . . . I was curious if anyone had process sheet worked out for it.
i would be interested as well. We only use TSP on the valves, not the cylinders. For that I dissolve 1/4 cup of TSP in a gallon of water, and treat valves in a heated hydrosonic bath, after I have treated them with Simple Green. For cylinders, I only use Simple Green.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom