O2 Cleaning of Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasMike

Contributor
Reaction score
When you have your tank O2 cleaned for use with Nitrox, how is this done?

I'm not a nitrox technitian, but I've seen it done a couple of times, so i'll try.

First of all there's a defference between 100% O2 cleaning, and Nitrox cleaning, which is up to 50/50.

The most important thing is the tap: all the O-rings are replaced to special ones, and a special oil is implied, different than the usual. It is completly dissassembled than reassembled, after carefull checking of the parts.

The tank itself should go through a test to check the level of the corosion, as oxigen encourages corrosion. It's mostly a visual test, that tests the depth of the corossive spots.

It dosent really differ much than making the rest of the gear(regs) nitrox friendly. mostly grease and O-ring changes.

Thanks, but I guess I'm wondering if there is any actually cleaning of the tank interior. And if so, how do they go about it.

Hey Texas Mike and all,

Yes, you have to clean the inside of the tank... simple green is the most effective agent I have seen. The process has been blown out of proportion, and is really pretty simple. Use HOT HOT water and a thirty minute soak, and then rinse the heck out of it for another thirty. On al tanks, stop here and dry the heck out of it with dry air... a hair dryer hade to shoot air into the tank and allow air to come out works great! On an FE tank, you must use a rust inhibitor after the rinse, and THEN dry the heck out of it. The reason you dry the heck out of it is that heck is just so caustic, that it will cause problems down the road... make very sure to dry the heck out of it. Heck is not good: it is evil!!! Disassemble and clean the tank valve in the same way. Use Viton O-Rings instead of the butyl ones. Do a vis (or have it done) and walla... you be oxy clean, my son!

I highly reccomend the Oxy-Hackers handbook as a reference!

:tease:

I have my tanks O2 cleaned every year. Right at the time I have a VIP done. Some people say you need your tanks cleaned some say you don't. It depends on what you are having put in your tank and HOW they are putting it in your tank.

If the dive shop uses PRE-mix then you don't need them cleaned. If they are using partial pressure filling technice then you do need them cleaned.

A partial pressure fill means that they are dumping x(lbs)or(liters) of pure O2 in to your tanks. That can be bad if they haven't been O2 cleaned. Bottom line (my professional oppinion) have them O2 cleaned every year. You never know how's doing what in the mixing room.

I think also the cleaning, especially in the case of O2 cleaning, should be done only by professional technicians, because the visual check of the corosion should be very precise, and it has different standards for O2 cleaning.

Hello,

There's a similar thread about o2 cleaning regs (regs and nitrox I think is the topic) where we have been discussing the various issues on cleaning.

What I *DO* know is the 50/50 that was mentioned is dead wrong. The 40% rule is also dead wrong.

If you are really interested in how to properly o2 clean and all the aspects you'd ever care to know about oyxgen then go see rainreg, if he can't set you straight then IMHO, nobody can.

Ed

Ed,

You have just moved this discussion from the other thread to here.

How do you discount the (conservative est. 100,000) nitrox fills conducted in actual real life cases without any "reported" (we'll play in your park) incidents? I am sure that this is a lot more than the Navy or NASA has conducted. Not that I question NASA on their reasoning. Like I said earlier, I would want the toilet paper O2 cleaned if I was in the Space Shuttle, Lord knows we don't need any more accidents happening to our astronauts.

Next, now think about this. If you have to O2 clean your regs for anything above 25% (regular ole air basically), why would you not have to O2 clean your BC or drysuit, seems to me, (and I am a logical man) that there would be hundreds times more contaminants running around inside of these that would cause a problem. I asked you this before and you haven't answered them yet.

IMHO this rates right up there with red dye #2, I haven't quit eating red hot dogs, but I did give up on laboratory rats.

Don

Hello,

Very simple, there ARE reports of thes accidents, cept you really have to dig for them. They do exist. Again I am NOT going to post details (reg vs bc o2 cleaning) however I can lead you to the right location of those details. Here's the kicker on this, if you (i.e. your shop) filled someones tank and it exploded, flashed or the like wouldn't you do everything in your power to stop the word from getting out? Would that not damage your reputation? Your creditability and create a strong impact on your clients?

Like I said before if you want to truely know the ins and outs of o2 and o2 cleaning then the man to speak with about this subject is rainreg.

Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom