O-ring sealing: how to know it’s not overtightened, but still tight enough?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rogerdd

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe I’m overthinking it but when putting back the battery cap of a Perdix for example or changing the battery of dive lights, it’s usually recommended to ‘tighten until snug and do not overtighten’.

But in practice how to ensure this? I understand overtightening can cause deformation of the o-ring and compromise the sealing, but at the same time not tight enough would also not create a proper seal to make it waterproof.

So is there a method to make sure it’s tight but not too tight (at least from a dive equipment perspective)?

I was helping change the perdix’s battery of another diver (he’s been diving longer than me) and noticed his battery cap was tighter than mine, so I’m wondering if both were fine or if one was not tight enough/too tight.

For the Perdix overtightening doesn’t do anything to the orings because they are on the side of the screw. It may damage the thread though. Given this setup, tightening doesn’t improve the seal; you should stop tightening as soon as you reach the stop without tightening. It’s almost impossible that the screw will get loose.

Maybe I’m overthinking it but when putting back the battery cap of a Perdix for example or changing the battery of dive lights, it’s usually recommended to ‘tighten until snug and do not overtighten’.

But in practice how to ensure this? I understand overtightening can cause deformation of the o-ring and compromise the sealing, but at the same time not tight enough would also not create a proper seal to make it waterproof.

So is there a method to make sure it’s tight but not too tight (at least from a dive equipment perspective)?

I was helping change the perdix’s battery of another diver (he’s been diving longer than me) and noticed his battery cap was tighter than mine, so I’m wondering if both were fine or if one was not tight enough/too tight.

I finger-tighten the vast majority of things I own (unless it requires a torque wrench).

O-rings dont use "tightness" to seal. They rely on the pressure differential causing the material to deform into the space and fill any gaps.

My rule of thumb is finger tight for everything then a slight bit extra with a tool to ensure it won't accidently come undone.

Your coin will jump out of the slot, before you damage anything

If you do not tighten completely by bottoming out the cap the Perdix will Not function

Most everything, requires its own particular touch of tenderness

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom