O-Ring Rupture while Underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do wonder how that might affect overall gas delivery if it were to happen at depth.

Easy enough to test. Remove the valve to regulator O-ring and see how bad it is while standing in your dive locker. Being underwater probably wouldn't make it much worse. Tank pressure would make a big difference.

Tank pressure would make a big difference.
I doubt that. Ambient pressure is much less than the tank pressure (so can't "push back") until the tank is so empty that it doesn't matter anymore.

33 years of diving, And it happened to me about 2 years ago.. My divemaster came over And quickly turned off my tank and I surfaced on his octopus

I doubt that. Ambient pressure is much less than the tank pressure (so can't "push back") until the tank is so empty that it doesn't matter anymore.
I was thinking in terms of being able to get enough out of the regulator to breathe with a missing O-ring. There will be much higher back pressure when the tank is full so the gas that can gets through the regulator should be higher.

I would guess that DIN vs Yoke would also make a big difference.

Unless the valve unscrews, I can’t imagine a tank valve oring tank failure at depth would have any effect on ip so it should not affect second stage delivery until the tank gets low. In other words the leak would not be that fast because the oring has no where to go, unless the valve unscews

Easy enough to test. Remove the valve to regulator O-ring and see how bad it is while standing in your dive locker. Being underwater probably wouldn't make it much worse. Tank pressure would make a big difference.
I don't think you are getting what I meant and maybe I wasn't clear.... I am talking about the VALVE to TANK o-ring......NOT the VALVE to REG o-ring...... And I think it's the VALVE to TANK o-ring that the OP was originally asking about. I think we've all either seen or had issues with the valve to reg o-rings.... particularly on K or J valves.

Anyway.......o-rings are just another one of the main reasons that I always dive with my 19cf yellow buddy......."Silent Bob".

CVn9mnH.jpg

Back
Top Bottom