O-ring replacement in hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aaen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Anyone know how to replace the o-ring in the hose connector for the inflators. I get a small leak everynow and then where it attaches and it is due to the o-ring failing. Only happens once every few months but I would to learn how to do this myself. Is there a specific tool to do this.

Steve

There are o-ring extraction tools available.
I use an old dental probe to hook the o-ring and pull it out.(try eBay)
Inserting the new o-ring can be fun, I've found the eraser end of a pencil works nicely to push the o-ring in until it slips into the groove.

The o-ring in your second stage hose is also fun. Its a little easier to install, but equally difficult to remove.
same tool works well here. also.

Mike D

I don't have too much trouble getting them out with a double hook pick. http://www.scubatools.com/Universal.html Part # 10-102-400. Next time I put in an order, I'm going to get a couple more so I can modify the hook just a bit for those applications. Installing the reg hose o-ring isn't to bad. Get it started and it pretty much slips into place. Installing the inflaor hose o-ring may require a chant that should not be used on Sundays.

I don't like dental picks. It is too easy to scratch a seating surface with them if you get careless.

Yeah trying to get those dam inflator o-rings in is a pain in the butt. Mine blew again on the weekend due to grabbing the wrong diameter of the ring in my kit, wasn;t paying attention when I chose the ring right size just to thick. Anyways I couldn;t for the life of me get the new one in place, thankfully I just switched out the hoses though. But I may have to try these double pick tools to place the ring. My LDS says he has a tool for this specifically though, would be interested if anyone knew what it was. He says yo ujsut puch it on and voila.

Steve

A special tool may make sense for a store that does this routinely. But for a DIYer who has to do this once in a blue moon, it may be excessive. I had never had to remove and replace one until this thread came up so I gave it a shot. For instalation, I pushed the o-ring roughly in place and then used a couple small (less than 1/16 inch dia) wooden dowels. Get the o-ring started in the groove and hold that start in place with one dowel while you work the other dowel around the o-ring to push the rest in. I don't think I'd try this as a field repair as it could take a whiole especially if you are in a rush. It took me a couple tries and I'm not sure what I did differently between the failed and successful attempts. I always carry a spare rig to dive sites for quick repair of such problems.

Back
Top Bottom