O-Ring Removal/Replacement - Lucky or Stupid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TravelDave

Contributor
Reaction score
Looking at the manual for my new Canon housing, it says that I should remove the O-ring each time to lube it and replace it once a year. On my old Olympus housing, I always lubed the O-ring while it was in the groove (I never removed it). I also didn't replace the O-ring at all during the 5 years I owned the housing (with usually 1-2 dive trips per year).

Never had any problems. Am I lucky, stupid, or normal?

Thanks,
Dave

Normally it's best to follow the manufacturers instructions. Something to remember about o-rings, if you leave them installed all the time they will eventually get compressed. This is especially true if you store the housing clamped shut. Ikelite and Sea-and-Sea both suggest removing the o-rings and keeping them in a plastic bag when the housing is being stored.

Every flood I've ever seen can be traced to user error installing the o-ring or closing the housing. I prefer to leave things alone. Every 3 or 4 months I'll remove and inspect the o-ring, replacing only if deformed or nicked, else lubing and reinstalling. You don't remove and replace the o-rings in anything else before every dive. How often do you lube or replace tank o-rings? That's 3000 psi trying to escape and o-rings still can last for years.

Looking at the manual for my new Canon housing, it says that I should remove the O-ring each time to lube it and replace it once a year. On my old Olympus housing, I always lubed the O-ring while it was in the groove (I never removed it). I also didn't replace the O-ring at all during the 5 years I owned the housing (with usually 1-2 dive trips per year).

Thanks,
Dave

.........remove the o-ring and lubricate it each time you open it, if not you run a risk of 'trash' getting in/on the space where the ring sits------replace it when it needs it ie cracked, split etc etc etc........

Knock on wood. I'm still using the o-ring that came in my housing after 3 years. It looks, acts and feels perfect. I never remove it for storage, but I seldom go more than two weeks without diving and shooting pictures. I do pull it about once a month or so, swab the o-ring groove with a clean make-up q-tip and lube and reinstall the o-ring. I check and wipe the o-ring and its mating surface when I put the camera in and take it out, usually once per dive day. I ALWAYS check it in bright light for hairs, sand and salt before closing and ALWAYS check and recheck the latches. The one time I almost flooded, I left one latch open and noticed it when I hooked the camera to my lanyard in the water. Three or four drops got in.

I don't remove or lube my Orings every dive. Usually I do a very careful inspection, cleaning and lubing before every dive trip. If you keep them out of the sunlight and away from harmful chemicals modern Orings will last a long time. One thing I do every time I close the housing is to very carefully inspect the entire Oring surfaces with a magnifying glass. I also make it practice that I only open or close my housing in a clean environment, never on a boat or beach. The Orings on my PT15 are 4 or 5 years old and still appear in prefect shape so I still use them.

Thanks,
Dave
I do the same as you did with your Oly for my G9 canon housing; no problems so far.

I dive every weekend and usually clean and lube the o-rings once a month, sometimes even less.
I store the housing open with the o-ring in place, just check it for hairs and particles before closing.

If however I have been diving and there has been lots of sand or silt stirred up I will remove, clean and lube the o-ring.

If the o-ring does not fit snugly or feels as if it has stretched I will replace it.

The manufacturers may be recommending replace and lube every battery or card change because they get to sell you new o-rings every year that way. To cleaning and lube one usually gently pulls the o-ring through a cleaning cloth and then gently pulls the o-ring through your fingers. Even gentle pulling stretches the o-ring. My Olympus housing has two o-rings and unless you shut the LCD hood leash in the door it is a pretty bullet proof seal. I have more than one housing and used one for a quite a few dives before noticing the inner o-ring was not installed; never had a drop. I lube approximately monthly and store with rings in place; never had a drop, except when I made other mistakes.

Thanks,
Dave

You are lucky. Each time I dive when there is a lot of silt/sand stirred up.....I go back and upon removal of the Oring, I see sand and other bits under the oring and/or in the seat. I once had a strobe with a slow leak because I did what you did and just inspected the surface and gave it a light rub with silicone....

I don't think you need to replace the Oring each year as long as you store it well and keep it lubed during storage. I can't imagine the manufacturer or retailer throwing out Oring stocks that they don't sell after a year! It's an O'ring....not a food product. I would only replace it the moment I see it isn't fitting well, is deformed or starting to show signs of wear or cracks. I also don't get to dive as much as I would like to.

In any case, I would at least remove and keep the Oring, lube it and place in a ziploc baggie within the housing when not in use.....this will prevent the oring from deforming from being constantly compressed when not in use for long periods. I would also take out the Oring and inspect the grooves too after any dive in silty conditions. The crude ALWAYS manages to find a way in. That's what I do....others may have a different opinion of course....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom