o-ring questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wendy,
zip-loc bags may be a good idea, i put mine (including spares) right into a small otter box, i think your mfgr.'s instructions may have been worrying about the o-rings becoming hard. i have encountered times when you leave an o-ring in and end up with a hard crusty o-ring. you should usue silicone grease to keep from this situation anyway.

happy diving,
JD,
padi,dive master,pro film maker

medic13:
remember to remove at least one O-ring during flights , I remove one O-ring during storage , just what I was tought .

medic....

I'm not challenging your post here, but just curious. Why would you need to remove the O ring during flights? I could be way off base, but it seems that the cabin pressure change in an aircraft is nowhere near what your case is going to experience even within the first 40 feet of being submerged.

Two quickies.
If we're talking about the main o-rings (red silicon ones), they do not need to be greased. Or removed evey day. This will just stretch them out eventually & they will need to be replaced. Silicon o-rings are used to provide low maintenance. No grease - just a little spit.
Removing o-rings for a flight. If you seal the housing at same altitude as you plan to open it, its a non problem. Otherwise the housing could be rather hard to open. Keep in mind that the manufacturers ship with housings closed & o-rings in place. If you ordered yours via 2-day air, it was on a plane or two. No need to mess with o-rings. The more you play with seals, the greater the chance of having a problem (read leak). If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

jcclink:
Two quickies.
If we're talking about the main o-rings (red silicon ones), they do not need to be greased. Or removed evey day. This will just stretch them out eventually & they will need to be replaced. Silicon o-rings are used to provide low maintenance. No grease - just a little spit.

That isn't what Olympus says in my PT015 manual... rub a little bit of silicone grease on the O Rings, store in a plastic bag and I keep the bag inside the housing.

fins:
medic....

I'm not challenging your post here, but just curious. Why would you need to remove the O ring during flights? I could be way off base, but it seems that the cabin pressure change in an aircraft is nowhere near what your case is going to experience even within the first 40 feet of being submerged.

Actually, the pressure in an aircraft will be less at altitude than on the ground so it would be higher inside a closed housing, which is the opposite of what happens when the housing is submerged to any depth. Whether the housing is designed to take this or there is a possibility of unseating a seal or o-ring in this case I don't know. The manufacturers instructions and recommendations should be followed, and if in doubt, it never hurts to leave the housing unsealed to allow it to equalize. IMO

Pez de Diablo:
That isn't what Olympus says in my PT015 manual... rub a little bit of silicone grease on the O Rings, store in a plastic bag and I keep the bag inside the housing.

Oly also likes to sell grease & o-rings. I've been working with o-rings for over 30 years without a leak. Its a non issue with silicon. If the o-rings were neoprene they would have to be greased occassionly. Grease will eventually cause the silicon o-ring to swell & elongate. Then you will need a new one.

Wendy, although I'm pretty sure I don't have your exact housing, I have several Ikelite (acrylic) and aluminum Aquatica housings. I also use a Nikonos.

The o-ring maintenence has been pretty universal and applies to every housing I've used.

Each housing has two sets of o-rings, user-maintainable and "permanent".

The "permanent" o-rings are the ones on controls and such. These I have the factory replace every year or two depending on use rates. Some are designed to be user replacable, but I've never taken a chance, and never had a flood from them either. If you ask nice they pressure test them after maintenence to make sure they actually will work.

The user-maintainable o-rings are the ones on the ports, back door, flash sync connections, battery plugs, etc.

The user-maintainable o-rings get the following every dive day: 1) remove o-ring from track 2)clean track with lint-free type of foam q-tip 3) inspect track for anything (especially hair) 4)lube o-ring 5) place o-ring in track 6)inspect again and 7)close housing.

On the same day, in between dives to change out film or CF cards, I just inspect carefully before closing.

The o-rings are lubed to allow them to move in their tracks under water pressure. This allows them to deform and seal. My only flood came from a hurry-up morning with no lube.

Keeping the o-rings on the housings and ports, for extended periods, forces them to take a set shape. This set shape is usually one that reduces the o-rings' ability to deform, and increases the chances of a flood.

So, o-rings used for diving should be removed when the camera is stored, to avoid taking a set.

However, storing a housing without an o-ring can allow impact damage to the o-ring track. So I use a set of "storage" o-rings. These are sacrificial o-rings that I place in the housings when not diving for more than a week or so.

The diving o-rings are stored in a ziplock baggie under the foam in the camera case lid. In the morning, just remove the storage o-rings and swap them with the dive o-rings.

If I'm on a trip, I just leave the diving o-rings in every day. I also have a set of new o-rings along, just in case an o-ring gets nicked or damaged.

I personally leave the housing open to ambient pressure when flying. They are designed to hold pressure out, not keep it in, and control glands may become displaced (read: flood) or other subtle problems may occur. I just don't take the chance. In fact, the port and body caps for my Aquatica come with a hole drilled in them to allow the housings and ports to equalize.

Whew! Alot there, probabally more than you wanted. Just keep in mind there's alot of ways to do this housing stuff. This has worked well for me.

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom