O-ring lubrication.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug:
Now why do you think that is?
I would have thought it would attract more foreign matter and be harder to keep clean.

sorry i was assuming that silicone was used for all o-rings

Dynamic o-ring: Lube her up.
These O-rings are constantly exposed to motion, without adequate lubrication they will wear and deteriorate rapidly resulting in leaks. Ex: Hose swivel joints, 1st stage swivel turrets.

Internal static o-ring: light lube, just enough to be shiny.
These are lubricated primarily to extend the life of the o-ring and preventing dry rot, especially in humid environments. it also serves to make sure that the o-ring can be seated properly without getting caught or contorted.
Ex: LP/HP port o rings, tank valve neck o-ring.

Exposed static o-ring: Dry
Do not lubricate. Lubricating exposed o rings will allow dirt and debris to stick to and foul your sealing surface.
Ex: Tank valve o-ring

I highly recommend that you DO NOT use spit. What is spit? Mostly water. This will cause dry rot and is not a good or adequate lubricant. If in an absolute pinch, use the grease from your forehead between your eyes or around your nostrils. But be sure to change it out/clean and properly lubricate when possible. While we usually change our our o -rings before they have time to dry rot, I can tell you first hand from my time as a radio operator, that the gents who just use spit on their o-rings had nasty looking poor sealing o rings by the end of deployments vs the guys who used actual grease.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom