o ring inspection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDRINK25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I purchased a used housing. Not knowing when the oring has been replaced i purchased a new one. Taking the old one out it looks good is worth to keep it? How do I know its bad?

I purchased a used housing. Not knowing when the oring has been replaced i purchased a new one. Taking the old one out it looks good is worth to keep it? How do I know its bad?

The cost of o-rings is too cheap to be worried about keeping the old one. It can be very difficult to find fault with o-rings sometimes. They can look perfectly fine but still have a slight flat spot that is virtually impossible to notice.

Good idea to start with a fresh one, but generally they stretch as they get old. It's a good practice to take the o-ring out regularly, wash your hands well and carefully wipe the o-ring down with your fingers, then apply a thin coating of the recommended grease until it is smooth and shiny. I use make-up swabs (the foam kind) to clean the groove. If you try to put the o-ring back and it deforms and seems too long to fit, it's time for a new one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom