O-ring grease

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Ok, just another question here. In the manual it says to only use Olympus O-ring grease. I asked the photo dealer and he said it didn't matter. Now I feel as if the o-ring of the PT-016 is stretching too....could it be from the "Wrong" grease?

Aloha,
Lisa

justleesa:
Ok, just another question here. In the manual it says to only use Olympus O-ring grease. I asked the photo dealer and he said it didn't matter. Now I feel as if the o-ring of the PT-016 is stretching too....could it be from the "Wrong" grease?

Aloha,
Lisa

Yes, it does matter. I don't remember the correct jargon for which color o-rings are made of which material but bottom line if you use the wrong grease on the wrong o-ring it can and will deteriate them. That said, it's not as bad as it sounds. The grease that came with your Oly will last a long time, you only use a dot about the size of a kitchen match head. We do know that the Sea & Sea brand of grease with the blue cap is safe for the Oly o-rings, they are made of the same material. Do NOT use the S&S white cap grease, it's the bad stuff.

Armando, at Island Dreams Photo Center, who is a Sea & Sea Authorized repair man, uses plain old silicone grease that your dive shop uses on your reg o-rings. He's been using it for years on his own cameras as well as his rental cameras, with no problems. If I used as much of the stuff as he does, I would probably use it, too.

Since I have many years worth of S&S blue capped grease on hand, that's what I plan to use when the Oly stuff runs out...in 2-3 years! Maybe I'm just a bit picky but I don't want to chance my $500+ camera trying to save on a $5 tube of grease that will last me a couple of years.

I don't know if it is the cause of it stretching or not but I do remember warnings of using only grease specifically designed for the PT-015. For the few dollar difference from ordinary grease to their special grease I wouldn't take the chance.

I have 232 dives on my first PT-010 housing. Most of them were using pure silicone grease from my LDS. The housing never leaked. I switched off to a new one only to service the older one.
I get between 40 and 50 dives on a main O-ring before it stretches to the point it will not stay in the groove without fighting with it. I believe that is due to usage and handling not the generic grease.
Yes, you can use the wrong grease but that's not pure silicone grease.
The Japanese instructions for the PT-010 state to use as much grease as the size of 2 grains of rice. That's way too much grease for 1 O-ring. As much as the size of 1 grain of rice is more than plenty. The warmer the temp, the softer the grease, the less I seem to need.
justleesa you are diving more regularly than most people as you live in Hawaii as I do. For that reason you will replace your main O-ring(s) more than most folks.
All in all, use the Oly grease for peace of mind as it is available without breaking the bank.

Since we usually take 3,4 or more cameras with when we dive (sea & sea's, Hannimex and the Olympus cameras, we rent them out too), I go 3-4 times a week and my buddy for life goes just about every day....The Oly grease is gone. We have been using the grease from a company called Innovative Scuba Concepts.
From what you all have told me, I do note that I have been using too much. So out I will go and get the right o-ring grease and use it more sparingly. Thanks for the tips and info. They are greatly appreciated.
Mahalo and Aloha,
Lisa

The silicone grease is just there to let the o-ring slide where it needs to slide to form a proper seal. Normally you just rub it on between your fngers and if you can actually see it on the o-ring when you are done, you have way too much on it.

lisa...Innovative Scuba is one of the companies that package the generic silicone. I believe if you're diving that much, your o-ring will need to be replaced from over use and stretching long before the grease could harm it. I'd use the silicone grease and not worry about it!

Hi - am new here and reading your thread. I just got in the pool with my new Oly C5050, PT015 housing and INON D180 strobe. Am now worried that I've made a grave grease error and would appreciate your help!

I received a tiny tube of brownish- clear o ring grease from INON for the strobe's yellow o rings. I also received a tiny tube of clear silicone grease from Olympus for the housing's black o rings. I applied the INON grease to both orings, as I wasn't thinking clearly before I jumped in the pool. Did I just damage my Olympus o rings by using the INON grease? I thought colored o rings were more susceptible to breaking down, and thus am hoping that the INON grease is safe enough for the silicon orings on my Oly....

Hope to put my mind at ease.....

DowCorning 111 for air 79/21 applications on o-rings, Halocarbon for O2 applications. 111 is relativly inexpensive but Halocarbon is extremly costly. Don't use too much of either because they will collect sand and dirt after dives.

Back
Top Bottom