O my god, where to start

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mogwai

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Oh my god, where to start. Regulators , fins, firts stage second stage, bc, snorkel. So much kit to look at. Guess who is new to this carry on:) This is gonna be a lot of fun, any advice for someone who is just setting out, on what to look for and what not to buy would be welcome.

Welcome to the boards! I just bought my kit last year, and have a few ideas. Don't know how valid the are. I know lots of folks who dive a couple times a year, and rent their gear, but buy their regulators and gauges, because you want to know that the regs are right before you dive. Seems to me, I bought my mask (perscription lenses) snorkle and fins first, had some booties. Then a BC via the internet (Sea Dog Sports) and a tank (used from the Local Dive shop) and then plunged in and bought my regulators, computer and gauges, and such. After that, a drysuit and undies (early this year) and then sold the BC and bought a backplate system on eBay. Then a weight belt (had the weights) and then a different pair of fins (turtle fins for the drysuit). Then I bought a second tank, and am considering a third one. Since then, I have taken my console apart, put my computer on one wrist an my compass on the other and let the SPG hang on the end of the hose, re-rigged my backplate with new webbing and a release buckle on one shoulder strap, built suspenders for my weight belt and several other small things.

Don't think this is the 'proper' order, but it was the order things happened as the money became available and the equipment was found.

Good luck!

Recently I upgraded with all new gear. It's a big task, getting familiar with all the various offerings and opinions, but in the end you're going to have to figure out what's right for you.

First I would say, do a lot of reading here in the equipment section - there's a ton of info and you'll learn a lot. As I read I found that my questions about specific models and such got answered along the way.

Next, narrow it down by figuring out what type of diving you expect to be doing. That will determine the type of equipment in some cases, like BCs, fins, and regulator. Then, if possible, rent the type of gear you're thinking about buying; that will either confirm a decision or cause you to try something different.

It's hard to avoid ending up with some gear that you wish you hadn't bought. But you can minimize the chances of that by taking the time to do the research before you buy.

Jim

all great advice !

For me, I advise my students to get mask & fins ASAP. Rental masks always leak + I just don't fancy a face full of someone elses spit. Although silicon is a great elastic material it will eventually mould to your face - rental masks will never do that.

Same goes for fins - this is your propulsion mechanism. Don't get too tied up in what sort, just get some.

Next - well that's open......

Ask other divers, hang around dive shops, chat to people - divers will bore the pants off anyone willing to listen about their gear. Absorb.

For what it's worth my advice is...

Get a computer next - these are now cheap enough to be std diving gear - you'll never bother renting one, but my God you'll appreciate your own. I love my Sunnto Moskito. £170, but every one has their own views.

BCD Next - ask ask ask, and get some dives under your belt before buying one

Reg set next - prob with together with BCD. Again decide what diving you are going to be doing. Factors in regs are :

Performance ( although unless you intend to push things or go in very cold water most regs will out perform you)

Servicing costs - every year and don't forget. £££££

Availability of parts WHERE YOU LIVE. eg in Thailand it's damn hard to get Apex bits - lucky they never go wrong !

Availability of service centre - you don't want to send the reg away for weeks on end.

Makes I like are
Apex TX range - bullet proof milatary regs. Fantastic.
Scubapro - anyone anywhere can service these and parts are very available.
Nobody will knock you for buying these two
others :
Mares - cool gear, lots of great new stuff but not so good for hard wearing divers or pros. They just don't stand up to continuous use and servicing can be an issue.
Posiden - dead cool but expensive.
Oceanic- no worries with these but it can take a while to get them serviced - 6 weeks is not un common.

Somewhere a suit fits in to all this - up to you and the availability of good hire dry suits. Def buy your own wetsuit 3/5mm if you want to do holiday diving - do it right now ! People piss in their suits and ....well I don't want to hire one !Also you look much cooler in your own suit than some scaggy old shop one.

Tanks - I always borrow one - I've been diving for 12years and never bought one !! Am I lucky or mean! Tank hire ain't that much and the servicing is a right pain. Unless you dive every week I'd not bother.

hope that helps, these are just my opinons.

Blue

mogwai once bubbled...
Oh my god, where to start. Regulators , fins, firts stage second stage, bc, snorkel. So much kit to look at. Guess who is new to this carry on:) This is gonna be a lot of fun, any advice for someone who is just setting out...

Welcome.

My first suggestion would be to slow down and take a breath. I can see your air consupmtion rate is through the roof. LOL R

RavenC once bubbled...
Welcome.
My first suggestion would be to slow down and take a breath. I can see your air consupmtion rate is through the roof. LOL R
LOL....:laugh:

Raven is right, take a breath (remember breath SLOWLY)...
though, I agree you do need your own equipment...It does help your confidence and planning, sometimes even your ability (it will be routine to rig your own gear where rented gear is not always the same, not to mention the level of confort of fit)..Good luck to you and welcome to world of the deep blue!!! :wave:

and study and ask and look and ask..did I mention to ask questions..and try stuff out and make sure it fits and above all else make sure you look good :wink: heheh..seriously though. Mkae sure you research your gear and get what you need for the type diving you'll be doing and good luck to ya's

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom