Nylon Weight Pouch Fabric??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Valree

Reaction score
Hi! Does anyone know of a retail source for the rubberized nylon fabric used to make lead-shot filled weight pouches? Thanks!

I just went to the fabric store and found the cheapest material that resembled the weight pouches I had. Not sure about the material content, and I had to settle for dull orange, but so far it's worked out great.

Locally, at Hancock Fabrics, I picked up a Pro Drapery (#1159) fabric that is a black nylon mesh. It was around $7/yard. The weave is larger than the typical mesh you see on soft bags, but it should be tight enough to hold #8 size shot. I didn't have the fabric on hand when I went to the shooting range, so I ended up getting lead bullets instead.

I checked the Hancock Fabrics website, but they don't have the fabric listed.

Also, Scuba Chick has unfilled weight bags.

I was looking for similar material to make wetsuit pockets out of. I found a cheap duffle bag on sale - cost $2.50, it was very heavy nylon and I got about 1 full yard out of it. Plus some webbing, etc.. - might check the local thrift stores to see if they have something like that also.

Valree:
Hi! Does anyone know of a retail source for the rubberized nylon fabric used to make lead-shot filled weight pouches? Thanks!

No need for that material. Get some used panty-hose and

1) cut the legs off
2) pour the shot into a leg
3) twist the hose just above the shot
4) place the balled-up shot into the top of the leg
5) repeat steps 3 and 4 until there is no material left
with which to work
6) wrap in duct tape

Seems like you could also get some wide tubular nylon webbing (maybe check surplus or army/navy stores), cut it in short lengths, pour the lead in, and sew up the ends. I've seen 3-4" webbing that would work, but it may be hard to find.

Green_Manelishi:
No need for that material. Get some used panty-hose and

1) cut the legs off
2) pour the shot into a leg
3) twist the hose just above the shot
4) place the balled-up shot into the top of the leg
5) repeat steps 3 and 4 until there is no material left
with which to work
6) wrap in duct tape

I got this technique from a post by Uncle Pug. He doesn't use it, but it sounded so functional/cheap that I had to try it.

I use old nylon socks. My washer/dryer is always eating just one, so I've got lots of socks.

1) Pour lead shot into sock
2) Tie quick knot
3) Lift top of sock around leaded bottom, so you have two layers of nylon cloth with a knot at the bottom.
4) Tie another knot at the top.
5) Done, no duct tape needed

So far (six dives in fresh water), I haven't lost any shot and they haven't shown wear or gone stinky.

Tom

That's probably where I learned of it. I used panty-hose because I had it available. I tied multiple knots because it seemed prudent. I wrapped the objects in duct-
tape in order to make them more resilient to a pounding.

Fishy8411:
I got this technique from a post by Uncle Pug. He doesn't use it, but it sounded so functional/cheap that I had to try it.

I use old nylon socks. My washer/dryer is always eating just one, so I've got lots of socks.

1) Pour lead shot into sock
2) Tie quick knot
3) Lift top of sock around leaded bottom, so you have two layers of nylon cloth with a knot at the bottom.
4) Tie another knot at the top.
5) Done, no duct tape needed

So far (six dives in fresh water), I haven't lost any shot and they haven't shown wear or gone stinky.

Tom

I got some mateial from the garden shop for redoing lawn chairs and umbrellas (table). it came in various tightness of weaves but is very pliable. havnt lost any shot from it yet but it could happen. the panty hose idea used as an inner liner would make a good combo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom