NYC diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WaterDance

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Last dive was Sept 25th in Curacao, it has been so long I have been having scuba diving dreams. Heading to Florida over July 4th weekend but I want to get the gear (and myself) wet before then. Don't have the time (or the $$ considering the hotel stay and gas) for Dutch Springs this month, so I am interested in trying my fins along the Jersey / NY shore. My fiance and I live close to the Brooklyn Bridge and we are both Advanced Open Water PADI Divers. He has 102 dives, I have 52. None of mine have been around the Tri-City area. Neither one of us has Nitrox certification, so we will be diving on air (and need to rent tanks). Both of us have been down to 130 feet.

With whom do you recommend we dive with? Looking to go either June 14th, 15th, or 22nd.

BTW - we both have 7 mil farmer Johns, but I really dislike being cold.

Thanks!
Susan

Last dive was Sept 25th in Curacao, it has been so long I have been having scuba diving dreams. Heading to Florida over July 4th weekend but I want to get the gear (and myself) wet before then. Don't have the time (or the $$ considering the hotel stay and gas) for Dutch Springs this month, so I am interested in trying my fins along the Jersey / NY shore. My fiance and I live close to the Brooklyn Bridge and we are both Advanced Open Water PADI Divers. He has 102 dives, I have 52. None of mine have been around the Tri-City area. Neither one of us has Nitrox certification, so we will be diving on air (and need to rent tanks). Both of us have been down to 130 feet.

With whom do you recommend we dive with? Looking to go either June 14th, 15th, or 22nd.

BTW - we both have 7 mil farmer Johns, but I really dislike being cold.

Thanks!
Susan

Susan - I'm not aware of any shore diving around NYC. Especially the Brooklyn Bridge. You're kidding right? You will need to either dive off the Jersey Shore or get on a boat. You will need a redundant air supply and the boats are neither cheap nor easy. Best bet is to bite the bullet and go to DS. Better bet: Join the Sea Gypsies NYC Sea Gypsies Scuba Diving Club www.seagypsies.org They're meeting this Wednesday. They will be able to tell you everything that you want to know.

Of course there's always Beach 8th St. in Queens.
There are some beautiful pictures of the site here in the "Wreck Valley" forum.
Check it out, learn about it, and get yourself some local tide charts (NOAA), and shears for cutting fishing line. Only dive slack high tide, 45 minutes before and after.
And stay safe, probably best to dive with someone with experience there first!
Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom