NVI St Croix - More information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pleasan7

Registered
Reaction score
I see where several people have posted trip reports. My husband and I will be going
at the end of Feb first of March 2006 for a week. Staying at the Carambola Beach Resort. We plan to dive some on that North shore. We have dove one tirp with Cane Bay on a previous visit from a cruise ship so we know that we will love that dive. What other sites would you recommend? Anchor is at our hotel so we will probably shore dive from there as well - How is the diving in the bay there? Just in case of bad weather what land excursions did you enjoy? Please share your experiences!
Looking forward to a relaxing vacation!

Thanks to all who responded to personal messages. Any sites or books that I could read to give information on the dives sites so we can plan our good dive days?
Thanks again,
Carol

Just returned from dive trip to St. Croix.
Seas were rough because of tropical storm Gamma.
Did get some good diving in though.
Visibility was O.K., usually got down to less than 30 feet in the afternoon (then again the seas were rough). Mornings were better.

I dove with S.C.U.B.A. - Very nice boat, very competent staff. They have the biggest boat I could find on the Island. The best dive I did with them was Blue Chute. There is an overturned wreck starting at 70 feet. Saw some nice Morays and a few spotted drum fish. It was a fun intermediate dive (it was our second of the morning).
They have a really nice shop located right in the heart of Christiansted. Do your souvenir shopping here.
http://www.stcroixscuba.com/ - If you're diving with Leslie as the Divemaster, tell her John from Arizona says hi.

I also dove with Cane Bay. Their shop is right across from one of the nicest public beaches on the Island. The wall is a long surface swim from the shore, but doable for anyone in average shape. You can see the mooring buoys from the shore and the wall is about 20 yards from the buoys. It is certainly worth doing a couple of dives from the shore (SAVE SOME MONEY). We also dove with the Cane Bay shop. They have a comfortable zodiac that holds six people. The best dive of the week was done from the Zodiac. The spot was North Star (about a six minute boat ride). We also did a nice drift dive from two palms back to Cane Bay West.

Cane Bay is attached to a nice restaurant. A pleasant place to do a surface interval lunch and an apres diving beer. Cane Bay is a full day trip (four dives)

Cane Bay also serves up Nitrox (32%) for an extra 8 bucks. And since there is so much to see, bottom time becomes an issue.
http://www.canebayscuba.com/ - Ask for Dan as your instructor.

Some other great dives include; Fredericksted Pier (Seahorses) and the 4 wrecks on the West side of the Island. I would probably talk to SCUBA first. If they won't do it, I found Cane Bay to be very accommodating.

Another piece of advice ... own the Caribbean Book from www.fishid.com
Study it before you go. The variance in reef fish is amazing. You will see a hundred different species on one dive. I spent the long flight to St Croix studying up and glad I did.

Biggest issue is the reefs in St Croix. It was a hot summer in the Caribbean. Many of the hurricanes did not make it north. Thus the water never had a chance to cool down. Even last week the water temp was 84 degrees. When the water gets that warm, the algae lifts off the reef and 'bleaches' the reef. This causes many of the fish to seek alternate food sources away from the reef. While the bleaching caused little permanent damage, it did do some harm. You could see it was starting to come back, so hopefully by the time you head down it will be in full recovery.

All in all - it was a great trip. Have dinner at Off the Wall; Skip Cheeseburgers in America's Paradise and be careful of a drunken pig bar in the rainforest - her drinks contain some sort of voodoo -- still fuzzy on the details -- that's a different post entirely.

I went to St. Croix in October and will be going back Dec 9 - 16th. I dove with SCUBA for the whole week and had a great time. Everyone was great and I even did my first 2 ocean night dives there because I felt so comfortable with the DMs. I will be diving with them a gain for the week I am there in Dec. Of the 10 dives I did there, my favorite was the West Wall. It was like diving the Grand Canyon. Just awesome. The coral bleaching seemed to be in full tilt while I was there. Made it look like diving in snow. I'm glad to hear the coral is starting to recover, I can't wait to go back. I stayed at Chenay Bay last time but am staying at the Buccaneer this time.

I also enjoyed the wrecks at Butler Bay especially the Rosa Maria. Also dove a shallow site called Sprat Hole that offered amazing fish life and coral. Of course, Cane Bay as a shore dive. It's an easy entry on the sand and the swim out is not bad and you can dive a profile from shallow to deep, depending on how you plan it.

I dove with almost all the operators and my favorite, by far, was N2 the Blue.

http://www.n2blue.com/

Personalized service, 6 pack, no diesel fumes and fun people. Very similar to the best Cozumel operators. And one of the best operators I've dived with - anywhere.

jstuart1:
Of the 10 dives I did there, my favorite was the West Wall. It was like diving the Grand Canyon. Just awesome. The coral bleaching seemed to be in full tilt while I was there. Made it look like diving in snow. I'm glad to hear the coral is starting to recover, I can't wait to go back.

EXACTLY....that is my favorite....Salt River Canyon, West Wall......wow...... Coral looked great 2 weeks ago.....I was in total awe.

Big Hugs!

Alix

mermaid8773:
JStuart.....What lovely St. Croix Pictures you have!!!! You will be much more impressed this time around....the colors are amazing!

Thank you very much. Those were the best pics I have taken underwater so far. I can't wait to go back.

Thankyou each for the information. I too enjoyed looking at the photos jstuart1. I appreciate hearing about the different sites. It will help me pick ones that my very experienced husband will enjoy and I will not find too difficult.

Back
Top Bottom