Nurse Shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bmax

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Wow, I finally saw my first shark! I was in Bayahibe, Dominican Republic for a few days. Hooked up with Vlad from Divingdr. They took me on a private boat and it was a one on one dive... which was good since im just starting out. We jumped in...cruised around, saw alot of fish, lots of BIG eels, a few stingrays, and then THERE it was A BIG A$$ shark......it was a nurse shark, about 8 feet long.... I was in AWE ! I am so excited to jump in the water as soon as I can ! This was the hilight of my WEEK!

Congrats! Sharks are such beautiful creatures. It's too bad that they are made out to be evil, man eaters that love to snack on divers. Totally untrue!

What's cool about nurse sharks is that half the time you find them, they are asleep. Their head is often tucked under a coral overhang but the rest of their body is sticking out. They think they are hiding.

Also it's interesting to note the nurse shark is the most dangerous shark for divers. WHAT? you ask? Simply because their are a lot of boneheads out there that think it is funny/cool to grab a nurse shark and show it off. Nurse sharks don't appreciate that and let the handler know in the only way they can.

Back
Top Bottom