Numbness doesn't go away after recompression treatment...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since the treatment, the numbness seemingly moved around (one day on right arm, and the left on the other, weakness (and slight numbness) on both legs and they cleared up on the next day, so on and so forth.

Hi Earth Diver,

This is some new, and useful, information.

There's lots diving medicine doesn't yet know about DCS, but it does know that bona fide DCS-related limb numbness and weakness do not resolve one day and then reappear the next, or move around from limb to limb. Almost certainly something not dive related is occuring here.

The neurologist is the place to start, so you're on the right track.

Again, we appreciate the updates.

Best of luck.

Doc

Although I'm not a hyperbaric doc, it sure seems to me that that profile is pretty benign. Although it's sawtooth, I have certainly done profiles that looked like that in caves on quite a few occasions. If you are taking a Type II hit from that type of profile, I'd agree that some medical workup (TEE or transcranial Doppler) might be in order.

But Doc Vikingo is also right -- transient and variable symptoms are not typical of DCS. Sounds like more investigation needs to be done, for sure.

Hi Earth Diver,

This is some new, and useful, information.

There's lots diving medicine doesn't yet know about DCS, but it does know that bona fide DCS-related limb numbness and weakness do not resolve one day and then reappear the next, or move around from limb to limb. Almost certainly something not dive related is occuring here.

The neurologist is the place to start, so you're on the right track.

Earth diver, I would be looking at cervical or thoracic disk related issues with your neurologist. As currently small disk bulges move around with sleep and sitting etc the pain or numbness can move with them. If you had a large disk herniation you would know it for sure, smaller ones can wax and wane like you seem to be experiencing. Your position in the water, your exertion, and carrying tanks + weight belts may have all instigated these new circumstances and be unrelated to DCS/bubbles.

Good luck resolving these issues,
Richard

Back
Top Bottom