Numbness doesn't go away after recompression treatment...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello, fellow divers!

This is my first post on SB.

I'm seeking the professional advice on my case here...

I had a recompression treatment yesterday for a suspected DCI. The symptoms were numbness on the right forearm and right thigh/shin area, which I noticed right after the dive that I made on the past Sunday. During the chamber treatment, I felt the numbness went away for a short period of time, but it came back toward and at the end of the treatment. After 15 hours later, I still have numbness on the same spots and on the bottom of my rigth foot as well now.

The attending doctor wasn't sure if I had a hit (according to him these were not typical decisive symptoms of DCI), but he gave me the treatment anyway just on a safe side. I told him that I was diagnosed with the DCI (Type I & II) last March, which the doctor (different from the doctor yesterday) was 100% sure of, and had a chamber treatment. This might have triggered him to get me into the chamber....

I'm now wondering if I had a DCI this time? I'd greatly appreciate it if the doctors on SB could share his/her thoughts.

Diving profile (attached) for Sunday was:
Deepest: 62ft
Duration: 40min
Water Temp: 50f (colder at depth)
Gas: Air

Due to the contour of the quarry, I made to the deepest point (about 60-62FT) twice. The drysuit I wore was a size smaller and squeezed more than usual and constricted my legs a little too much. No noticeable strenuous swimming during the dive (execpt the fact that the constriction on the legs), but I made a stupid mistake on the gas management, and ended up running low on air. (only 500psi left to start ascending.)

However, on an ascent, I managed to stay for 4min safety stop around 19-20ft. with the help of a buddy (shared air) and 1 min around 10ft. Also, I resisted to bolt up to the surface after 10ft stop and took about 30sec or possibly close to 60sec for the rest of the dive. (=the log doesn't show it, though)

The computer shows the rapid ascent of 53fpm but I figured that that was during the dive, not on the ascent.

Though I had a DCI earlier (and possibly prone to DCI???) and it wasn't ideal (up & down = saw profile), I'm just hoping that this would be IT...

Thank you in advance for your precious advice!

EarthDiver

Attachments

• Workbook1.xls
    49.5 KB · Views: 68
I am not a doctor but have you called DAN? They would be a tremendous service to you right now in helping to diagnose or suggest a direction for you to go in. I hope you get this settled quickly and that it has no negative impact on your diving future.

Thank you, ScubaSteve, for your quick reply!

I did contact DAN about this incident before & after the treatment. DAN was greatly helpful as usual. He was doubtful if it was a hit, but suggested to contact the hyperbaric doctor for his opinion.

Well, I guess diagnosis of DCI is not precise science as someone said. After seeing no improvement after the hyperbaric treatment, I guess it would be safe to say that it was not DCI after all. I just wanted to have an assurance on that conclusion from the doctors.

But thanks again, ScubaSteve.

Hard to say, the tighter than normal suit could account for the problem too.

If I'm reading correctly your chamber ride wasn't till the next day?

Normally you get the best results in a treatment if you get the person into the chamber withing the first three hours after the incident, after the the resolution of the symptoms will start diminishing.

By the following day results would probably be limited.

How long was the treatment? Table 5? 6?

Your best bet at this point is to follow up with a doctor that understands hyperbarics- if you don't know of one DAN will help you locate one.

Good luck!

And welcome to Scubaboard! Tough way to get introduced.

Keep a diary/log of your sensation symptomatology and any other associated symptoms (nervous system, vascular system, etc.). Follow up with a physician if symptoms don't improve over the next few days.

Last edited:
TC, and Bubbletrubble,

Thank you both for your advice!

I'll intend to contact a doc of the hospital, who's associated with DAN and currently on vacation, as soon as he comes back.

The treatment was based on Navy Table 6 and lasted for good 5 hours.

Well, the numbness seems to be subsiding a little by now.

Thanks again!

Hi Earthdiver,
Sorry about your experience. Regarding the abnormal sensations, the potential to recover from a DCS "hit" is partially dependant on the interval between the dive to therapy. It is not uncommon for some degree of resolution at recompression and resumption of symptoms at surfacing. This is not unusual. The fact that you responded with a change/reduction in symptoms at depth is very heartening. Some chambers treat to 2 treatments post resolution of symptoms or stabilization of symptoms in the absence of improvement. I'm not clear if you had only 1 recompression.
I can't really attribute your symptoms to your suit, since these would have resolved far earlier than this.

Well, the numbness seems to be subsiding a little by now.

Hi Earth Diver,

While it is not certain, DCS is very high on the index of suspicion.

If the abnormal sensations are DCS-related, the expectation is the remaining numbness gradually will dissipate with time.

In some cases, however, there may a permanent residual.

By all means keep your hyperbaric medicine doctor informed and keep the forum updated. It's how we learn.

Best of luck,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

Thank you so much, HBO MD and DocVikingo, for your precious advice.

I was in a state of denial, so to speeak, for a week...Since the treatment, the numbness seemingly moved around (one day on right arm, and the left on the other, weakness (and slight numbness) on both legs and they cleared up on the next day, so on and so forth.

It finally struck me if this symptoms were the manfiestation of the decompression injuries, then there'd be something wrong with me. This got me thinking about what is really causing me to get hits with DCI so often, and there might be some underlining medical condition(s) that is being masked . A few years ago I had an extended tests on the heart as part of the medical checkup (I had done a stress test, and ultrasound to check if there were any abnormality) and the doctor concluded that I had none. But I guess I need further checkups.

I'll have a neurologist app. setup next week and maybe a cardiologist to follow.

Again, I wanted to extend my thanks to you, fellow divers.

Out...

There is a rare genetic disorder associated with numbness in the limbs over extended periods of time-my buddy was just diagnosed with it. I don't recall the name but you may ask about that.

Beyond that, wouldn't it seem rather unusual to take a hit based upon that dive depth and profile? Looking at my PADI air table he is within the NDL range, plus he was on computer. Looking at the computer profile it is even more so in his favor. I guess it is just the laws of statistics and "we are all snow flakes?"

Best of luck and feel better!

Back
Top Bottom