Number of pictures from one battery for GX 7 Mark II?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scoooter961

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Question, How many pictures are you getting from one battery? I'm just barely getting 2 dives maybe 100 pictures.

Question, How many pictures are you getting from one battery? I'm just barely getting 2 dives maybe 100 pictures.
I've also got a GX7 Mark II, and that sounds pretty close, probably a bit higher than my experience.

Some of the factors that will affect battery life are:
  • the age of the batteries
  • the water temperature
  • using the camera's flash (either for lighting itself, or to trigger strobes)
  • reviewing photos after they are taken
  • amount of time "half-pressing" the shutter, to frame shots & focus
  • screen brightness
  • whether the camera's battery-saving mode & auto-shutdown are enabled

I've also got a GX7 Mark II, and that sounds pretty close, probably a bit higher than my experience.

Some of the factors that will affect battery life are:
  • the age of the batteries
  • the water temperature
  • using the camera's flash (either for lighting itself, or to trigger strobes)
  • reviewing photos after they are taken
  • amount of time "half-pressing" the shutter, to frame shots & focus
  • screen brightness
  • whether the camera's battery-saving mode & auto-shutdown are enabled
Ok thanks, I was talking to someone else who said they were getting around 300 pictures on a battery and were using the flash to trigger the strobes as well. Which lead me to believe that it might be time for new batteries, but maybe not :)

I just about get a weekend, with my camera dying on the 4th dive (my last trip i got 242 pictures but that's after deleting all the bad ones - so yeah about 300). I top up the charge the day before leaving (they discharge slowly so if you charged it a month before it won't be 100%), then for firing my strobe I have it set to the lowest flash setting. I have no audio sounds, and low if not lowest screen brightness. The flash is definetely the biggest battery drain, so if you have stobes do set the flash to it's lowest.

Been using the G7X II since around 2016 all over the world from Florida Springs to Caribbean to Philippines, Maldives and more destinations.

With TTL flash and one or two S-STTL set Inon S2000 strobes I'd get anywhere between 110 - 150 shots.

If you shoot manual flash adjustment and power down the Canon G7X II flash in the menu to MANUAL set it at 1/3 to simply "trip" your external strobe. You'll get maybe closer to 200-225 depending how fast you shoot and what settings for proper exposure.

I use only the genuine Canon NB-13L batteries as after market batteries have never lasted as well at least for me.

I set my AUTO POWER OFF menu to OFF. I'll turn the camera on and off but let the camera LCD go to sleep after 1 or 2 minutes. A tap of the shutter "wakes up" the camera instantly.

Doing lots of menu changes (saved in the My Menu choice) can decrease battery life Along with reviewing pics for long periods of time on the dive.

If you shot ambient light shooting L or H frame rate I've got as many as 800+ shots and still had battery left (like snorkeling with whale sharks.)

Flash is the single factor limiting battery life per dive in my experience.

One final tip.......

Having a towel, o-ring grease moving away from anyone I've peeled down any wet sleeves and regularly opened and closed my Fantasea housing on boats between dives to swap a battery out.

I can do it in about 60 seconds but really pay attention to the back o-ring sealing (enough grease to be shiny, no hair, sand, grit, etc.)

Just one old guy's experiences shooting thousands of images with my Canon G7X II camera / Fantasea housing set up :)

David Haas

IMG_0105.jpgIMG_0248.jpegIMG_0135.jpgIMG_1415.jpegIMG_1798.jpgIMG_1439.jpegIMG_1874.jpegIMG_1865.jpgIMG_2407.jpegIMG_2095.jpg IMG_6937.jpegIMG_7011.jpegIMG_7024.jpegIMG_7117.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0229.jpeg
    IMG_0229.jpeg
    115 KB · Views: 64
Been using the G7X II since around 2016 all over the world from Florida Springs to Caribbean to Philippines, Maldives and more destinations.

With TTL flash and one or two S-STTL set Inon S2000 strobes I'd get anywhere between 110 - 150 shots.

If you shoot manual flash adjustment and power down the Canon G7X II flash in the menu to MANUAL set it at 1/3 to simply "trip" your external strobe. You'll get maybe closer to 200-225 depending how fast you shoot and what settings for proper exposure.

I use only the genuine Canon NB-13L batteries as after market batteries have never lasted as well at least for me.

I set my AUTO POWER OFF menu to OFF. I'll turn the camera on and off but let the camera LCD go to sleep after 1 or 2 minutes. A tap of the shutter "wakes up" the camera instantly.

Doing lots of menu changes (saved in the My Menu choice) can decrease battery life Along with reviewing pics for long periods of time on the dive.

If you shot ambient light shooting L or H frame rate I've got as many as 800+ shots and still had battery left (like snorkeling with whale sharks.)

Flash is the single factor limiting battery life per dive in my experience.

One final tip.......

Having a towel, o-ring grease moving away from anyone I've peeled down any wet sleeves and regularly opened and closed my Fantasea housing on boats between dives to swap a battery out.

I can do it in about 60 seconds but really pay attention to the back o-ring sealing (enough grease to be shiny, no hair, sand, grit, etc.)

Just one old guy's experiences shooting thousands of images with my Canon G7X II camera / Fantasea housing set up :)

David Haas

View attachment 730564View attachment 730566View attachment 730567View attachment 730568View attachment 730570View attachment 730569View attachment 730571View attachment 730572View attachment 730574View attachment 730573 View attachment 730577View attachment 730578View attachment 730579View attachment 730580
Thanks, great pictures!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom