Suggestion Number of dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Kriterian

Kriterian

Reaction score
Is there a logistical reason that the number of dives section of our profile can't be spaced out a little more, or even better, a specific number? I think it would be better to gauge a person's experience if you could tell which end of the 500-1000 spectrum they fall within.

Just curious, nothing major.

Kriterian:
Is there a logistical reason that the number of dives section of our profile can't be spaced out a little more, or even better, a specific number? I think it would be better to gauge a person's experience if you could tell which end of the 500-1000 spectrum they fall within.

Just curious, nothing major.

Does it matter? 6 months after your 4th birthday you probably told everyone you were 4 and a half. I'll bet you don't say you're 32 and a half now :wink:

I don't care about the number of dive log. I know some divers care it a lot. I have met OW diver who is better than any DMs. I met an instructor who is worse than any rescue divers. They used to be "I syndrom" diver or arrogrant. LOL~~ The more you dive, the better diver you are. Probably, but not always! It is totally how much you study and excercise your skill and theory. It applies to every sports, such as golf and ski....

Kriterian:
even better, a specific number
Put it in your signature.
Rick

I don't think I'm a significantly better diver than I was when I had logged only 500 dives. The learning curve slows a great deal beyond 500. While I still learn from my dives, the effects are not as great as early on.

Walter:
I don't think I'm a significantly better diver than I was when I had logged only 500 dives. The learning curve slows a great deal beyond 500. While I still learn from my dives, the effects are not as great as early on.

That's a very good point Walter. I too am of the thinking that numbers don't matter that much. As has been stated in other posts, you will get folks who are always talking about how many dives they have. I think a more important number is how many dives you have in the last 6 months or year. I read somewhere on the board, and agree totally, most of the time the guy who talks the most knows the least. You can usually tell how experienced someone is by just watching them gear up.

only indicates how many times you've been in the water, not how skilled or knowledgeable you are.

I know someone with 25 dives who can dive circles around another person who has 1700+ (still handpaddles and has a 45 degree angle of attack)...horribly sad, but true.

Back
Top Bottom