Nudibranch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roko

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been wanting to see a Nudibranch ever since getting to BC, but haven't seen any! Maybe I was looking right past them and just not noticing them amongst all the other things to notice...

Anyways, I saw a tonne at Porteau yesterday. Now I just need to find me a wolf eel (I saw what looked like a baby wolf eel, but I want to see an adult!) and an octopus..

35555_10150192065825076_630950075_13072019_5109005_n.jpg

35555_10150192065840076_630950075_13072021_1651167_n.jpg

This is what looked almost like a baby-wolf-eel.. I had the wide-angle on at this point, so I didn't get a great picture.. (Took it off halfway through the dive since vis was so bad for wide-angle) I'll have to dig through my books to find out what it is.
35555_10150192062085076_630950075_13071775_499260_n.jpg

Those are hermissenda crassicornis nudibranchs -- very common this time of year. They can range from a few millimeters long to several centimeters, and are often found on the sea lettuce.

Your second critter is a longfin gunnel.

Congratulations on finding the nudis -- once you start to see them, I think you'll notice a lot more. They're my favorite thing to look for.

Roko, nice photos, thanks for posting.

I love nudis and BC's one of my favorite destinations. Have you visited the Nudibranch Lovers' Social Group yet?

-Bryan

Anyways, I saw a tonne at Porteau yesterday. Now I just need to find me a wolf eel (I saw what looked like a baby wolf eel, but I want to see an adult!) and an octopus..

Great pics, Roko! The biggest octo I've ever seen in B.C. used to live (maybe it's still there) around the dock in Porteau... Can't describe exactly how to find the place, but if you see a very big heap of sand and cracked shells, next to a big square concrete block (at least 1 x 1m) - this is it. There are few more smaller concrete blocks around. Look under the biggest.

For wolf-eel it's better to go to Victoria, Ogden Point. Never seen them here, but maybe someone knows an eel's place around Vancouver...

Ansel place there is a wolf eel, but it comes and goes. go down right side and look for a den!

Ansel wolf eel is presently there as of a few weeks ago. Lots of them at Madrona and Wall beach just inside parksville aslo :)

Or you can hunt for the one at Whytecliff at about 130' just right of the cut by about 5 mintues.

Thanks for the IDs TSandM, and thanks for the compliments everyone.. My camera's pretty good if *I* can get good photos out of it!

Can't wait to get out diving again... Gotta do 15 more dives and crack that 100 mark.

haha, not sure if I'll ever do a 100 meter dive.. I'm still enjoying the top 100 feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom