Nrew Opinions on DiveRite 500 LED?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let us know how that works out. I can't find the link right now, but I know I saw a document or post about the LED500 somewhere online saying the batteries for it are important in that they have to be able to sustain a certain current flow, recommending standard alkaline batteries like Duracells and not their counterparts designed for long life like Duracell Ultra.

However, the article mentioned nothing about Lithiums. I would think non-rechargable lithium batteries would be able to sustain even higher discharge rates, although I doubt it would be any brighter because the voltage is the same. Not sure about lithium rechargeables.

Anyway, I'm still on my first set of coppertops so I think you may be correct that rechargeables might not be worth it for this light.

>*< Fritz

Whoever it was at Dive Rite Express that sold me the light told me to get rechargeables, told me he had been using them in his for months with good results. The eneloops and Pre Charged Duracells (same battery, different package) seem to have a flatter discharge than the higher cap LiI batteries.

N

For an extra $100 you can get a really nice light from addheliumstore.com. They are made by Titan dive gear. It's called a 10W scula. rechargeble built in battery. 10W power that burns for 4 hours. you'll make up the difference in batteries. I haven't seen this light personally, but I have the canister style 25W that also has the 10W setting. It's bright, and definitely brighter than the LED500.

Let us know how that works out. I can't find the link right now, but I know I saw a document or post about the LED500 somewhere online saying the batteries for it are important in that they have to be able to sustain a certain current flow, recommending standard alkaline batteries like Duracells and not their counterparts designed for long life like Duracell Ultra.

However, the article mentioned nothing about Lithiums. I would think non-rechargable lithium batteries would be able to sustain even higher discharge rates, although I doubt it would be any brighter because the voltage is the same. Not sure about lithium rechargeables.

Anyway, I'm still on my first set of coppertops so I think you may be correct that rechargeables might not be worth it for this light.

>*< Fritz

When I first purchased this light I contacted DR directly and enquired about using Lithium bbatteries with the LED500, cant remember the reason but they said DO NOT USE LITHIUM batteries.

BTW, I did nine dives this weekend, plus four the prior weekend, all averaging about 45 minutes or so, using the LED500 nearly the entire time on all dives, and only now is the light output starting to become noticeably less such that I am considering replacing my first set of standard Duracells in that thing.

That's about 10 hours of useful time on one set. Pretty good, but now I'm thinking two sets of rechargeables rotated out might be cost-effective in the long run, so I'll have a look at those.

Also, I thought I would use it in corded configuration more, but plain old flashlight mode is just so handy and less hassle, I'm finding I mostly stick with that except for night dives.

>*< Fritz

I meant the NiMh batteries like the Duracell Pre-Charged and Sanyo Eneloops. I dropped a set in my light for testing, work fine. But, with all that, what is wrong with just using the copper tops? They burn forever with steady output. During a typical dive trip, most people are not going to run through the batteries. Carry one extra set and you are good for Armageddon. With this light, I don't really see the point of rechargeables. The link below is the battery I am using in most things now that use AA batteries. It is the same cell as the Sanyo Eneloops.

Duracell? Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries

SANYO eneloop | Ready to use Rechargeable Battery - The only battery you will ever need

Let me repeat, the cells I linked to above work better in most everything from the Dive Rite 500 to your Canon camera, they have high discharge capability, flat voltage output, much higher capacity than the Duracell Copper Tops, essentially they are the BOMB!!!!!!!! Notice they come charged and they stay charged--for months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Sanyo link has a bunch of graphs and charts---these are the BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

N

There are other threads where this is addressed but the electronics in the LED 500 are not designed for NiMh or nicads. The voltage/discharge rates are distinctly different and it is designed specifically for alkaline AA cells.

But as Nem points out, with 12 hours of burn time, who really cares - the battery cost is not going to bankrupt you. More importantly if used as a travel light, it is nice to not have to carry a charger and recharge everyday or two and you can get AA cells almost anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom