Novice with suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Starstruck*

Reaction score
As a newcomer to the wonderfull world of SCUBA i know little of Basic SCUBA so my question is what is the difference between dry and wet suits. Apologies if this question is simple, dont laugh at me too much.

Patrick!

Wetsuits provide thermal insulation through a thick layer of neoprene foam. It doesn't keep water out - the diver gets wet. They're inexpensive (relatively) and effective in warmer water.

Drysuits keep the diver dry (waterproof seals at all the openings) and thermal insulation is provided by garments worn under the suit, typically anything from fleece longjohns to "innerwear" that resembles a snowmobile suit. They are expensive but will keep a diver comfortable in extremely cold water or on extremely long dives. They also last a heck of a lot longer than wetsuits, so the TCO isn't as far out of whack as it might seem at first glance.

Look here and here at the differences.

Water sucks heat away from your body.

Wetsuits only let a little bit in.

Drysuits don't let any in.

Keeping the water out is expensive.

All the best, James

PS- You can pee in a wetsuit. Most folks deny doing it. You can pee in a drysuit, too, but it takes tubes and (shudder) glue and mechanical things.

Dry suits also can be made of neoprene (like a wetsuit) or trilam. Trilam doesn't really have any insulating value, so you wear more undergarments underneath. Neoprene can't be varied as much, but has natural warmth. I have a Trilam and really like it, but you'll find just as many that love neoprene. If you search around the boards you'll find many threads about this topic.

Dry suits also require you to add air to the suit as you go deeper. The suit squeezes you as you decend. They are much warmer, and you're dry when you get out of the water. Dry suits are really popular here in Minnesota where the water gets pretty cold even in the summer. They are a little more difficult to operate, as the extra air affects your bouyancy in the water. Many people use the dry suit for their bouyancy control rather than their BC.

In all honestly, it's probably best to get used to being in the water with a wetsuit and master your basic skills before going to the dry suit. Dry suits are great but do add some extra skills while in the water. They dump air from a valve on the arm, so it can be a little more complicated to get air back out of the suit as compared to a BC.

Welcome to the boards by the way! Have fun digging around!

I am relativly new to diving, and when you are new..... the less stuff you have to mess with makes diving so much more fun. I'd rather wear a 7mm full suit with hood, gloves and booties than mess with a dry suit. But if you are consistently diving in colder water, I think you could get used to a dry suit (that would be worth the warmth).

Have fun.... scuba diving is great!

Back
Top Bottom