Novice Needs Help w/New Strobe & Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seppy

New
Reaction score
Hi -

I just purchased the Sealife Reafmaster SL960D and a Fantasea housing for my Nikon Coolpix 4300. Everything seems like it works fine. However, when I hook up the flash link with a piece of tape in front of the flash from the camera (on the outside of course) per the instructions the strobe will not fire. I've tested the strobe by aiming the flash at it and taking a picture, it works fine. If I take off the rubber around the strobe that covers the flash sensor and take the picture in a dark room the strobe fires. I believe because the light is bouncing off the walls and it activates the strobe. I think the probelm may have something to do with the way the tape is covering the flash link. I was considering trimming down the insulation to see if that helps. However, I don't want to damage the flash link.

Any advice on how to hook up the flash link so it works properly would be appreciated.

Best,
Seppy

Remember that the flash link is fiber optic cable. If you do not have the end of the link flush with the flash, you will not get enough light thru. the link to fire the flash. If there is an adaptor to hook up the flash link to the camera its worth investing in. If you are going to simply use electric tape to hold it in place you should also consider trimming the end of the flash link at an angle to allow more light through the cable.

There is an adaptor on the end that goes around the strobe head. The wire fits through a curved piece of plastic. I don't have any adaptor on the end that goes over the camera. I think I will try trimming the end down to let more light in.

Thanks guys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom