NoVA Shops - which ones service gear in-house?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

telemonster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for some info. As I recall some of the Northern VA shops send off to others meanwhile some service in house.

I know VaScuba and I know Coral Edge Adventures service in-house.

Which other shops service in-house?

I'm mostly talking regulators.

TIA!

Do you need to get a specific regulator serviced? Or just looking for shops that do in-house in general?

Do you need to get a specific regulator serviced? Or just looking for shops that do in-house in general?

Had a shop service two regulator sets, and I suppose the Dive Rite regulator set is too advanced to complex to service without water leaking in/out through the venturi adjustment knob opposite the LP hose inlet.

Shop re-checked it and said everything is A-OK, will take it to quarry tomorrow but given that I can put water in regulator and watch it pour out the knob I have a pretty good idea what will happen.

Yeah. I think you are right about what might happen. I don't know any DR techs in your area, but it sounds like you may be missing a seal between the 2nd stage body and the barrel. Is the water flowing around the knob, on the outside of it?

It's not Northern Va, but Joel Michello at Dive Services Inc. in Va Beach does his own in house work.

Yeah. I think you are right about what might happen. I don't know any DR techs in your area, but it sounds like you may be missing a seal between the 2nd stage body and the barrel. Is the water flowing around the knob, on the outside of it?

Indeed! My two tests were pour fresh water into reg and hold it so it shouldn't be against the exhale mushroom valve, and not coming out of the mouthpiece. Water drips/pours from around the adjustment knob. Second test was fill sink with water, put reg in sick but not the mouthpiece. Not too long after inside of the reg is full of water.

I found the service manual online somewhere when I ordered replacement mushroom valve (I thought this was the issue originally when I got back from trip.) Old one did not look bad at all. I'm sure it has the o-ring on the diagram but I'm guessing if I take it apart to replace that it will result in losing the adjustments.

It's not Northern Va, but Joel Michello at Dive Services Inc. in Va Beach does his own in house work.

I actually moved to Northern Virginia from Virginia Beach. I know of them, but they're now 4 hours away :-( Not unless I got service done by mail. I've heard good things about Dive Services.

Joel at Dive Services Inc. will certainly do work by mail. He's easy to communicate with and does quality work.

Don't know anyone in Norther VA, but you could send it to DiveRightInScuba and they could service it for you. Competitive prices and they're experts at just about everything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom