Nov. 21 dive Balmorhe S.P.!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I addition to the schd. Val. Missile Silo dive trip sched. by SIS of Arlington on Nov. 20th.,,,,,I plan to make that event and then go on to Solomon Springs and diving this west Texas dive spot. Will leave the silo site the afternoon on Sat. and drive the 160 miles/2.5 hours and stay in the state parks motel Sat. evening ($53.00 dble. with park fees waived). Will dive Sunday morning before heading back home to the DFW area Sunday by 12noon. Hope some others will make this second dive site!!!
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/park/balmorhe/

Anyone???

You might want to check your map. Valhalla is close to Abilene. I think its closer to 280 miles from Abilene to Balmorhea.

FWIW: I was at Balmorhea working with an open water class last weekend. The visibility was from 1' - 5' max. and Zero around the students. With all the rain they have had in the Davis mountain area the spring is flowing around 34 million gallons a day and really stirring the place up. Water temp was around 70 degrees which is a little lower than normal but not by much. Last week the pool was closed completely due to flooding and poor visibility. Hopefully, by November 21st things will be clear again. It wouldn't hurt to call Ranger Tom at the park and ask about the conditions before you make the trek.

David

dgreenh:
You might want to check your map. Valhalla is close to Abilene. I think its closer to 280 miles from Abilene to Balmorhea.

FWIW: I was at Balmorhea working with an open water class last weekend. The visibility was from 1' - 5' max. and Zero around the students. With all the rain they have had in the Davis mountain area the spring is flowing around 34 million gallons a day and really stirring the place up. Water temp was around 70 degrees which is a little lower than normal but not by much. Last week the pool was closed completely due to flooding and poor visibility. Hopefully, by November 21st things will be clear again. It wouldn't hurt to call Ranger Tom at the park and ask about the conditions before you make the trek.

David

David thanks for setting me straight on the location of the silo---you are correct!! And I had heard of the poor vis,,,,park ranger said as it looks water should be ok by the 20th of Nov.,,,unless they cont. to get the rains. I will def. check a week out from the dive date----thanks!! Alan

Glad I could help. I think its pretty common for people to think that the silo is in Midland since that is where Family Scuba is. I hope Balmorhea clears up by the 21st, my instructor mentioned something about another open water class that weekend if the weather is good. Balmorhea isn't much fun when you can't see...although the fish and turtles were very friendly and hungry.

David

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom