Info Notice to Perdix AI owners (for awareness purposes)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divin'Papaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently had an antennae failure with my 6 year old Perdix AI.

First, a summary of my failure for context. I dive with two transmitters. One on my back gas and one of my pony bottle. I also dive with two computers, both monitoring both transmitters. So I can monitor pressure on both tanks with both computers. During a dive last month, I simultaneously lost transmission of both tanks on my Perdix AI. My other computer, a Perdix 2, continued to read both transmitters just fine. I immediately knew I had an antennae or circuit board issue with my Perdix AI. It never reconnected with either transmitter for the rest of that dive nor after. The rest and most important part of the computer continued to function just fine and accurately monitored time, depth, and NDL without issue. I actually continued to use it as my backup for the rest of the weekend, just without the AI.

The next week I sent it into Dive-Tronix for repair. Upon inspection, Richard Morton at Dive-Tronix confirmed that I had some sort of circuit board failure on my Perdix AI. The correction would entail a new circuit board. This is the piece that I want to make sure current Perdix AI owners are aware of. The circuit boards for the Perdix AI are in short supply and cannot be manufactured any longer. Richard has maybe 20 circuit boards he said and once those are gone, they are gone. He said that the depth sensor for the Perdix AI is no longer manufactured and thus Shearwater is unable to manufacture any more circuit boards as a result.

I was given two options. Replace the circuit board on the Perdix AI for $350 or upgrade to a brand new Perdix 2 Ti at ~ 50% MSRP. Given the fact that replacing the circuit board would leave me with a computer that has what is soon to be obsolete hardware (the circuit board), I chose the slightly more expensive option of replacing my Perdix AI with a Perdix 2 Ti for $570 plus $15 shipping. My replacement computer arrived yesterday!

For those with the Perdix AI, I just wanted you to be aware of the approaching inability to have the circuit board replaced. I thought it might provide useful data for those who may be considering an upgrade at some point in the near future. I do not know how long Shearwater will be offering the Perdix AI to Perdix 2 upgrade in lieu of repair. I'm not sure Richard even knows. Just something to be aware of.

PCB mounted sensors have notoriously short production lives compared to virtually all other semiconductor components. This caused trouble for our company too.

Back
Top Bottom