Nothing saps your testosterone more than having the weakest dive light.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's the viz like at Dutch Springs? In low-viz murk, I like to have lots o' lumens. On the other hand, on most of my night dives, a 4-AA pocket-size light is overkill, so I spend most of the dive with it shining through my fingers (so I can continuously modulate the light output).

Having a light insufficient for signaling or general use in murk is one thing, but outside those conditions, I prefer night dives to daylight dives after dark. :biggrin:

Of course, that doesn't mean I can't gawk at a nice can light, but it's just gear gawking. :D

Visibility was probably 15 feet during the day dive and it appeared less with night dive. There was a fair amount of silt floating in the water and at 55 degrees it wasn't moving to fast.

Totally agree with Diver0001. I don't want a bright light. I want one that gives me the minimum I need to get around with, and disturbs the critters the least. On many night dives my light is off much of the time.

I guess there might be a need for bright lights if you're a photographer, but maybe not even then because they have flashes don't they? So what is the purpose of the bright lights?

The light needs to match the conditions you're diving in. Locally we often have to deal with murky water. A small light will be completely useless in those conditions because it'll dissipate quickly ... and not only won't you see anything with it, but it's useless for signalling your dive buddy. A tightly focused, more powerful beam will cut through the murk and make it possible to use the light for its intended purpose. Conversely, that same larger light will be overkill in more clear water ... and may be an impediment by washing out the smaller light your buddy is using.

At home, I prefer a 21W canister light. In clear but dark water ... like the Florida caves ... I prefer a smaller 12W light. On my tropical trips, a hand-held backup light is all I'll need.

Whatever light best suits your conditions, it needs to perform two functions ... illumination and (assuming you're diving with a buddy) communication. If it serves those two functions, then it's appropriate. Everything else is just preference ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

What's the viz like at Dutch Springs?
Depends, if the students have kicked up the bottom or if there's been an algae bloom, there was one weekend this summer when it was about barely 10 ft, the worst I'd ever seen it at Dutch. Viz can range from 10 ft to 40'ish ft, mostly I'd say 30'ish ft.

You gonna come out this way and dive with us?

I have a bright mega light that sits in my closet. I should just sell it. I never use it. For ocean night dives I have this $12 Princeton Tec 40 Halogen that is bright enough for me (4 AA bats). The mega lights just scares stuff away before I get there. For local diving in our lake, my focused beam 3 C cell Photon Torpedo does the job nicely. Brighter lights create a halo of brightness, but as they are just reflecting off suspended particulates, I do think you really see "more". In fact, locally I prefer not to use a light unless I absolutely have to as this tends to focus your attention on whatevers in the beam and you miss some neat stuff. no high lumen stat envy here. Less if often "more."

Totally agree.. Just did a night dive in borneo and favored my Princeton tech 40 over my other mega bright led.. If the tech 40 was a tad brighter would've been perfect.. Cause it did seem like creatures were running for their lives from my led torch haha

Last edited:
I'll sell ya a 10w HID light!!! Dive Rite Slim with brand new battery and only a handful of hours on the bulb, soft goodman handle. :)

I just upgraded. Having read Diver0001's excellent response I'm second guessing the decision to sell the smaller one now. However, I really want to upgrade the one I just got to LED and have to pay for it somehow. :crafty:

I'll sell ya a 10w HID light!!! Dive Rite Slim with brand new battery and only a handful of hours on the bulb, soft goodman handle. :)

I just upgraded. Having read Diver0001's excellent response I'm second guessing the decision to sell the smaller one now. However, I really want to upgrade the one I just got to LED and have to pay for it somehow. :crafty:

Yeah... well it depends on circumstances. I like the 10w light because the animals don't run from it. I had a brighter one at one point and the animals ran from it. If viz is terrible the 10w light doesn't quite cut it sometimes but on the whole I think it's enough light for most circumstances without being too bright.

I think that light I described above was a 50w HID light. It was really over the top.

R..

I had a DM who owned a 50W HID ... I wouldn't let him use it for classes because it completely drowned out the student's lights ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom