not sure if dcs or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Les

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
as a cold water diver, I have had a couple of dives somewhat recently that have me wondering if i had dcs. I was on my first extended range dive 110' max depth for a total dive time of 1:19.As per my dive computer ascending as required by ndl limits.I was stung by a lions mane jellyfish (approx 1/4 of dive- 85')that made my face burn instantly but no other effects and breathing was ok. signalled buddy and continued on.once on the surface skin was still tender like a bad sunburn.vinegar around the eyes not recommended!!haha.but about 45-1 hour after surfacing my skin started tingling like needles jabbing an the roof of my mouth was tingling.was getting somwhat worse as time went on so my wife made up some baking soda for my sting across the face and I took an antihistamine and felt better.

Another dive I had was to 107' for total dive time of 56min. Just before safety stop guessing 20-15' head started pounding.part way thru safety stop @ 15' I had to surface.was feeling so nauseated like I was going to throw up instantly. Luckily nothing.I bowed out of the next dive and was starting to drive home with the head still pounding I had to pull over and toss cookies. Felt better but question if it was
dcs.
These have been my worst feelings during or after a dive.felt fine before.been diving since and no such occurances have come back.
symptoms could be dcs but am not sure.
Les

Les:
as a cold water diver, I have had a couple of dives somewhat recently that have me wondering if i had dcs. I was on my first extended range dive 110' max depth for a total dive time of 1:19.As per my dive computer ascending as required by ndl limits.I was stung by a lions mane jellyfish (approx 1/4 of dive- 85')that made my face burn instantly but no other effects and breathing was ok. signalled buddy and continued on.once on the surface skin was still tender like a bad sunburn.vinegar around the eyes not recommended!!haha.but about 45-1 hour after surfacing my skin started tingling like needles jabbing an the roof of my mouth was tingling.was getting somwhat worse as time went on so my wife made up some baking soda for my sting across the face and I took an antihistamine and felt better.

Another dive I had was to 107' for total dive time of 56min. Just before safety stop guessing 20-15' head started pounding.part way thru safety stop @ 15' I had to surface.was feeling so nauseated like I was going to throw up instantly. Luckily nothing.I bowed out of the next dive and was starting to drive home with the head still pounding I had to pull over and toss cookies. Felt better but question if it was
dcs.
These have been my worst feelings during or after a dive.felt fine before.been diving since and no such occurances have come back.
symptoms could be dcs but am not sure.
Les

call DAN ask them seems that the doctors there will know more than the experts here no disrespect meant to all the guys here but there are times when good sense says you don't know so a honest to goodness doctor should be consulted

scubadoguk:
call DAN ask them seems that the doctors there will know more than the experts here no disrespect meant to all the guys here but there are times when good sense says you don't know so a honest to goodness doctor should be consulted

Is DAN a membership only affiliation or free for any diver?

Les:
Is DAN a membership only affiliation or free for any diver?
its anyone who calls them, the insurance costs money.
Give em a call

SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION. For pete's sake, man, don't be asking here (No offense Dr. Decompression, but i doubt you want to do any internet diagnosis.)

Phoning Dan is a great idea (there is a 1-800-number, tell them your symptoms and they're going to tell you to go in - they won't diagnose you over the phone..)
Even if you just barfed, it's important to have DCS ruled out. Seek medical attention (from DAN or your local sources).

Les - is it DCS? who knows? but dont even call DAN - go to a medical doctor straight away.
you could be suffering from an allergy to the sting (I'm allergic to wasps), a reaction to the cold, DCS, migraine, anything.
you need to be seen by a real life person in person.
good luck, and keep us posted.

Take it from someone who posted a similar thread on this Board - go get it checked out ASAP. Denial is the last step before recovery begins.

Hello Les :

Well, that sounded like a crummy dive.

DCS can result in itching and, of course, joint pain. It can sometimes progress to paralysis. It does not appear as something like you might get were you to be stung by a venomous creature (eg, burning sensations). However, some people do get the pins-and-needles feeling on some parts of their body.

It did not seem to be a very long dive or a big gas load. Hope you are no feeling much better.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Hi Les

I was just reading a article about
[There is association between right to left shunts and an increased risk of DCS and a migraine with aura in everyone]
At the same time the article continues to say that PFOs are common but you require a 10 mil hole to put the diver at significant risk of DSC.
Cheers

Les:
as a cold water diver, I have had a couple of dives somewhat recently that have me wondering if i had dcs. I was on my first extended range dive 110' max depth for a total dive time of 1:19.As per my dive computer ascending as required by ndl limits. . . . Another dive I had was to 107' for total dive time of 56min. Just before safety stop guessing 20-15' head started pounding.part way thru safety stop @ 15'
So what computer are you using? Did I understand that you are not exceeding the NDL's and that you are ascending as you reach the NDL's? What is the final depth you are at when you start your ascent and what type of safety stops are you doing? My concern is that your 60+ minute dives starting at the deeper depths are doing some nice ongassing and that your safety stops might need to either start deeper or be longer. So try to give us some more details and let's see if we can give some tips on your planning. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom