Not servicing my gear EVER!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While the cause of death in some cases is found to be "equipment failure" the most likely failure was in the discretion of the diver.Juries like to give out money,I am on the periphery of 2 such cases now.Divers were abject idiots to not follow SOP and families are trying to sue capt,boat and gear companies.

you dont have a profile and seem not to want to SHARE with others but ask a stupid question to start a response so here is mine enjoy if this is a real question your to stupid to dive stay out of the water and save me the trouble of recovering your body because of your stupidity and someone in your family as stupid as you (apple and tree) calls it an accident and a tragedy

man yall are some haterss, this dude just ripped on me while many others agreed with my points, why you gotta be rude man? I just asked a simple question. Why don't you campaign against padi for their instructors who certified me in four 20 minute dives and left me on my own to FIGURE out ALOT of stuff?

If you expect everyone who gets into diving to start an emergency service thats just crazy?

Plus, by the nature of your work you are exposed to divers who have problems...thus your biased coz you dont see those who surface with no safety issues.

Your like my pops man, hes doesn't want me to buy a motorbike coz hes like every other day I see a motorcycle accident in the ER. I'm like duh the ones who don't have accidents don't come to the friggin hospital and thats like the rest of the bikers.

IMHO In one respect, I think service to a regulator is like service to many other things in life. If you have a lousy mechanic, he may cause more problems than it's worth to have your auto worked on. If you have an average mechanic, he may be ok with simple problems but if more complex, he's not capable to glean what the problem is and hence can't diagnose and fix. If you have an excellent mechanic, you have a much easier road.
There are good Doctors & bad Doctors etc...
That's not even considering if he has a bad night at home or has had a bad day, it's Friday and he wants to get home, he has 45 regulators backed up to service and is in a hurry etc...

Fortunately with regulators, the learning curve because of the number of parts and how they work allows a person, if they wish, to learn how to do basic inspection & servicing.

Of course it will take time to learn the feel and nuances in this. I personally am buying 2 books, SCUBA REGULATOR MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR by Vance Harlow & REGULATOR SAVVY by Scuba Tools. Then of course will need the particular manuals on regulator(s) & some specific tools.
It will be a while until I will feel comfortable to do work, so in the mean time I am going to look for some older (possibly non working) of similar design and hopefully some of even different design to practice on. That way I don't rely on my skills until I am ready.
I think this is a viable route for you, if you are willing to put the time and practice in to learn how to yourself. Then the cost will be reduced and you can inspect and do work if needed yourself.

The BIGGEST ASSET by doing this is, you will have an understanding as to how they work at the same time!

....Reid

like i said stay out of the water your dads rite he does not want you to have a motor bike not because it is dangerous but because your thinking process makes you and acident waiting to happen as you proved by your post

So far no problem with the reg. Bought it in December 08 and haven't had it serviced EVER. Gotta love Atomic Aquatics. Reg has never free flowed or been hard to suck air from it. The sound that it makes when I breath now is a little different then when I first got it but that's all. I guess some of you guys were wrong.

So far no problem with the reg. Bought it in December 08 and haven't had it serviced EVER. Gotta love Atomic Aquatics. Reg has never free flowed or been hard to suck air from it. The sound that it makes when I breath now is a little different then when I first got it but that's all. I guess some of you guys were wrong.

seems like you would be a good poster boy for Atomic, but then again in addition to selling regulators, they are trying to sell service kits :)

My guess is that your reg will eventually fail, and probably at 100' or so when under the strain of some dense breathing gas...best of luck!

seems like you would be a good poster boy for Atomic, but then again in addition to selling regulators, they are trying to sell service kits :)

My guess is that your reg will eventually fail, and probably at 100' or so when under the strain of some dense breathing gas...best of luck!

do tell us more about this failure mode you predict. what regulator components have increasing vulnerability to failure as depth increases within recreational limits?

i would have expected performance to slowly deteriorate and/or a slight leak to develop.

I dove a Mares MR12 Axis for 5 years without servicing. It then sat in storage for a few years and I gave it away to someone who rebuilt it and put it back into service.

The money I saved by not playing the over service game paid for my Hog D1's. I plan on diving them for a couple years and then self service. I thoroughly inspect my equipment using an IP gauge and a checklist I found on this forum. I don't feel that I'm diving unsafe at all.

I feel thoroughly inspecting your gear before each dive will go a long way towards diver safety. Not taking it in to get serviced just because it's 'time' to do so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom