not having quick weight releases

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bruce3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
i was wondering if its dangerous to not have quick weight releases on your bcd. im using a bpw and i just threaded hard weights to it.

Bruce3:
i was wondering if its dangerous to not have quick weight releases on your bcd. im using a bpw and i just threaded hard weights to it.

It really depends a lot on your type of diving and what you do consider removable in case you should really need to ditch anything...

I carry 2kg of lead on my weight belt (over the crotch strap), and that's all additional weight I need when diving with a SS BP. I prefer to keep it separate from my harness, but I don't think of it as auto-ditch, only as a last possible resort.

we have these on our plates.... maybe something to consider??

http://www.divetub.com.au/product.asp?pID=892&cID=17
bp_weights_124.jpg

cheers

There is always some discussion about how absolute the need for ditchable weight is.

Ditchable weight is desirable if the combination of your exposure protection and your other gear leads you to be too negative to swim your equipment to the surface in the event of a complete wing failure at depth. But a better solution is a more rational combination of tank and exposure protection, because ditching weight at depth leaves you with no ability to control your ascent when you get shallow.

The other place where ditchable weight can be desirable is on the surface. Rendering a panicking or distressed diver very positive makes them safer, and sometimes makes them calmer. If you have placed all of your weight where it cannot be removed, you have discarded that safety option for yourself. It's not necessarily intrinsically BAD to make that decision, but you need to be aware of the implications, and think about whether you want to take any other steps to ensure you can be comfortably buoyant on the surface, should you end up having to spend more time than you planned there.

To the OP,
In addition to what TSAndM has said, what would you do if you forgot to switch your air on or perhaps someone switched it off by mistake?

At this point you'd need to be able to swim to the surface (a good buddy might be able to help but may not have noticed or might still be on the boat for example) - but whatever you do always make sure that you can get rid of that weight in an emergency. It sounds as if you might struggle to get rid of that weight so in your position I'd transfer that weight to a belt or a weight harness.

A second point is that as you get more comfortable diving you may realize you need less weight - it's far easier to take weight off a weightbelt or remove from a harness than having to unthread and then rethread your new weight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom