Not getting mention alerts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doctormike

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,

I happened to open a thread in which I was mentioned (@doctormike), but I never got that alert (didn't find it when looking back in the alert history either). But when I look at my preferences, I have checked the box that says to alert me when my name is mentioned.

Any idea?

Two thoughts:
  1. Was the ampersand used in the message?
  2. Wonder what happens if the mention is added to the post as an edit after it is first posted. Might be ignored unless part of the original content...
edit: Here is a mention so you can see what happens @doctormike

OK, that works! Not sure why I didn't get Pedro's ... don't have him on ignore or anything, AFIK

OK, that works! Not sure why I didn't get Pedro's ... don't have him on ignore or anything, AFIK
Did the mention that I added to my post come through as an alert? Or is "after the fact" out of scope for the alert mechanism?

is "after the fact" out of scope for the alert mechanism?
It shouldn't be.
It should be "mention-specific" I think.
Let's see what Mike replies...

Didn't get an alert for Jack's mention, but I did for his reply. I think that both the reply and the mention potentially generate an alert, but once an alert goes out you don't get any more until you check the thread. So your reply probably generated the alert and then the mention didn't generate a second one...

Didn't get an alert for Jack's mention, but I did for his reply. I think that both the reply and the mention potentially generate an alert, but once an alert goes out you don't get any more until you check the thread. So your reply probably generated the alert and then the mention didn't generate a second one...
No so sure about that. Pretty sure that a single message with both a quote and a mention will generate two alerts. Which I am testing here and now, @doctormike

I have alerts turned off. I randomly go in and turn @doctormike’s off as well. It’s fun.

Back
Top Bottom