Not feeling 100% and dived anyway - lesson learnt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nshon

Contributor
Reaction score
1st dive on the 3rd day of a 5/4 LOB and the previous night crossing was extremely rocky so I woke up feeling seasick and generally awful. Had a quick breakfast, geared up and everything just didn't feel right, the straps on the BC felt tight, the tank felt too heavy and I'm still under the weather. Decided to go ahead since I'd probably feel better once I'm in the water.

Dive requires that we drop portside, swim down the mooring line against pretty strong currents (to me anyway). The line as it turned out was running tight against across the hull of the boat.

Anyway, giant stride in and the current took me maybe 5 metres away from the line, paddled hard on my back to be handed my video camera + lights (bulky and heavy). At this point I was probably panting hard and did not know it but I gathered my thoughts, strapped the video to my wrist and decided to descent first to get away from the current. I deflated the BC and could not descent and pulled myself down under the boat on the rope whilst exhaling hard. Once under, I found myself hyperventilating, I was breathing uncontrollably and still cannot descent.

The video was flailing all over, and I cannot breathe. Okay up I go, it's about ******ing time I pulled this one. At this point I'm probably about 2-3m down at most and under the boat. As I try to get away from the hull, my buddy's fins comes crashing and knocks my reg out of my mouth. I am still short of breath, my reg is out of my mouth, I cannot get to the surface. As luck would have it I grab my reg, replace it in my mouth, still breathing hard and inflate my BC and come up where I started. At this point my buddy is already on the surface and probably notices something wrong. Fully inflating my BC, I drift to the back on the boat, shaken but alive. I pull the dive, sleep for another hour and continued the rest of the trip with no problems.

Lessons learnt
  • I felt like **** and let my ego/crotcch take over and do the thinking- I should not have taken the dive but felt I would let my buddy down and went ahead with it. A weakness that could have caused my life.
  • Task overload - Probably the 5th - 6th time I was diving with the video and the 2nd time with the lights as well. Given the currents I should have dived without it with lack of experience in those conditions
  • Descending without buddy - In hindsight I don't see how it was possible to decend together given the current and the line running tight across the hull (I had to put my finger between the hull and rope to get a grip) but I am more wary of descending without my buddy in future.

nshon:
1st dive on the 3rd day of a 5/4 LOB and the previous night crossing was extremely rocky so I woke up feeling seasick and generally awful. Had a quick breakfast, geared up and everything just didn't feel right, the straps on the BC felt tight, the tank felt too heavy and I'm still under the weather. Decided to go ahead since I'd probably feel better once I'm in the water.

Dive requires that we drop portside, swim down the mooring line against pretty strong currents (to me anyway). The line as it turned out was running tight against across the hull of the boat.

Anyway, giant stride in and the current took me maybe 5 metres away from the line, paddled hard on my back to be handed my video camera + lights (bulky and heavy). At this point I was probably panting hard and did not know it but I gathered my thoughts, strapped the video to my wrist and decided to descent first to get away from the current. I deflated the BC and could not descent and pulled myself down under the boat on the rope whilst exhaling hard. Once under, I found myself hyperventilating, I was breathing uncontrollably and still cannot descent.

The video was flailing all over, and I cannot breathe. Okay up I go, it's about ******ing time I pulled this one. At this point I'm probably about 2-3m down at most and under the boat. As I try to get away from the hull, my buddy's fins comes crashing and knocks my reg out of my mouth. I am still short of breath, my reg is out of my mouth, I cannot get to the surface. As luck would have it I grab my reg, replace it in my mouth, still breathing hard and inflate my BC and come up where I started. At this point my buddy is already on the surface and probably notices something wrong. Fully inflating my BC, I drift to the back on the boat, shaken but alive. I pull the dive, sleep for another hour and continued the rest of the trip with no problems.

Lessons learnt
  • I felt like **** and let my ego/crotcch take over and do the thinking- I should not have taken the dive but felt I would let my buddy down and went ahead with it. A weakness that could have caused my life.
  • Task overload - Probably the 5th - 6th time I was diving with the video and the 2nd time with the lights as well. Given the currents I should have dived without it with lack of experience in those conditions
  • Descending without buddy - In hindsight I don't see how it was possible to decend together given the current and the line running tight across the hull (I had to put my finger between the hull and rope to get a grip) but I am more wary of descending without my buddy in future.

Good for you that you realize this as a learning experience. Those of us that read it will learn from it too. BTW, is your video positively buoyant?

Thank you for posting your story. I hope those who read it learn from your experience.

A couple of things I have learned about diving:
If your buddy is the kind of person who would be let down by you calling a dive you need to switch buddies. If you are a buddy who gets let down when someone calls a dive you need to consider how you would feel if the buddy dove because you expected them to then ended up getting killed.

It's ok to call a dive for any reason and if you feel your buddy will think your reason isn't good enough then feel free to lie. "My ears won't clear" works just as well on the boat as it does in the water.

Skip the extra gear (cameras, video, etc.) if you don't feel completely confident about a dive.
Ber

A good lesson learned. Thanks for sharing.

There is no shame in sitting out a dive if things don't feel right for you or your buddy. It's no fun hanging out on board while everyone else is in the water, but that is part of diving. S**t happens and some dives have to be aborted, although that is not always easy to accept when you have travelled far for just this one "special" dive. Dive safe and live to dive again.

pilot fish:
Good for you that you realize this as a learning experience. Those of us that read it will learn from it too. BTW, is your video positively buoyant?

The video casing (Ikelite) is negative.

Good work - we need more divers with this judgement and call a dive.

Folks,

The take home message seems simple, but it is a tough one for all of us to learn.

If you are feeling bad, don't jump in! If you have a really bad feeling, don't jump in!

Your body (and/or your mind) is trying to tell you something IMPORTANT. Let it go. Take time to recuperate, and to think about it. There WILL BE ANOTHER DIVE, but not if the one you force yourself into is your
"Last Dive"!! :11:

BigJetDriver69:
Folks,

The take home message seems simple, but it is a tough one for all of us to learn.

If you are feeling bad, don't jump in! If you have a really bad feeling, don't jump in!

Your body (and/or your mind) is trying to tell you something IMPORTANT. Let it go. Take time to recuperate, and to think about it. There WILL BE ANOTHER DIVE, but not if the one you force yourself into is your
"Last Dive"!! :11:

It's hard for some people to believe how true this is, especially about the bad feelings about a dive. If you have a feeling something bad is going to happen you need to listen to that just as much as listening to your body when it doesn't feel well.
Ber

Ber Rabbit:

It's ok to call a dive for any reason and if you feel your buddy will think your reason isn't good enough then feel free to lie. "My ears won't clear" works just as well on the boat as it does in the water.

Ber

Good tip! Although we all like to think we are fully self-confident, we also hate to disappoint our buddies. If this makes it easier to call a dive, then "no harm - no foul."

Back
Top Bottom