Not exhaling during the ascent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dogglebe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Six hours after last night's confined dive (my first), I woke up with some chest pains in the area around the top of both my lungs. Could this have been from not exhaling properly and pressure building in said lungs?

I know I'm supposed to exhale, but would problems from not doing so show up several hours later? Or would it happen right away?

The pool was ten feet deep.

Phil

You may want to call D.A.N.
Reach DAN by Phone:

* Diving Emergencies (Remember: Call local EMS first, then DAN!)
1-919-684-9111
International Emergency Hotlines
* Non-Emergency Medical Questions
1-800-446-2671 or 1-919-684-2948, Mon-Fri, 8:30am-5:00pm (ET)

* All Other Inquiries
1-800-446-2671 or 1-919-684-2948

Not likely..expansion injuries are for the most part immediate.Could be that the strap on the bcd that is high onthe chest was made too tight.Could be the winter cough that you have been experiencing.You did not check off asthma on the medical.
There were no sudden ,fast ascents made from the deep end either.If it persists through the day I would suggest to see a doctor, or at the least give him/her a call.
You did fine last night.The next time in the pool you will find it goes easier.Its all a learning process.
Emilio

not necessarily, it's more likely to be muscle fatigue from carrying all that new gear around!

It is possible to get a lung overexpansion injury in the pool, but you would need to have a proper lungful of air for it to happen and you would likely know about it well before 6 hours.

As with any condition, if symptoms persist, you should of course see a doctor, but I don't think you should worry.

Cheers,

C.

Thanks Emilio, and everyone else. I figured better to ask and be sure.

I'm going to chalk it up to muscles cramping. I took some excedrin when I woke up and the pain is now gone.

Phil

Not very likely, But as others have already advised and if you are still concerned call Divers Alert Network and you can speak to a doctor skilled in dive medicine. They will answer your questions even if you are not a member. Then after they answer you ask to be transferred to membership and spend very little for a lot of piece of mind.

Part of the training for a new diver is learning that a major concern with holding your breath is an Arterial Gas Embolism (AGE). As others have posted, most of the time, the effects are fairly immediate (for example, a stroke). Other concerns, like tension pneumothorax, can take hours to develop, but *I THINK* these are less frequent in general. (Not a medic of any form, here.) The medical types will tell you it's hard to diagnose things definitively over the Internet.

The 10' closest to the surface can be the riskiest in general for lung overexpansion injuries if not handled properly (i.e. always keeping you airway open), because the pressure ratio changes the most, and buoyancy is hardest to control. IIRC the record for a medically published lung overexpansion injury was a couple of feet, from someone standing up from the bottom of a pool. My first OW instructor had a saying, "if you hold your breath, 1' might cause problems. 3' probably will."

If you have further questions, you may want to ask a Moderator to move this thread to the Dive Medicine forum, where several diving doctors hang out, and would be more likely to see your posts.

BTW, if you do see a doctor, most doctors and ERs don't have much knowledge about diving accidents and hyperbaric medicine. However in an emergency or semi-emergency, I believe DAN is happy to talk to you whether you're a member or not. They also have a referral list of local doctors that have knowledge of dive medicine. I think DAN even has a program where OW students can get free temporary memberships, by having their certified instructor filling out some form on their web site.

If a rupture had occurred, like what others have said, I'd also expect that you'll know immediately; pain, difficulty breathing, maybe coughing up pink or red sputum. It may be possible for the lungs to have expanded more than your body is accustomed to, without rupturing, leaving some residual uncomfortable pain from stretching parts of the ribcage, sternum, diaphragm, or other adjacent muscles/tissues. Since the Excedrin(tm) and time seemed to have resolved the pain, then it's likely to have had a musculoskeletal origin.

Most people don't realize how high up are the tops of the lungs in the chest; viz., behind the clavicles or collar bones.* So the location "the area around the top of both my lungs" needs to be clarified; perhaps using external references such as the level of the collar bones or armpits. Next comes clarifying the pain: Sharp? Dull? Burning? Squeezing? Ripping? Fairly sudden (few minutes) or gradual? Now steady? Or comes and goes? Localized (can you point to it)? Diffuse or moves over an area (size of area, middle, left, right, back, front of the chest)? Does anything make it worse? Or better? Besides diving was there anything else different in your routine that day?

*Whoever remembers sweating their first central line stick, raise your hand.

Last edited:
Though the matter appears to have passed, here's a better description of what I went through:
I woke up about 4:00am with a constant, dull ache about four inches below the collarbones. The pain seemed to be deep inside, below the muscle. Each area, I'm guessing was about 4" by 4".

I took Excedrin about 4:30 and was back asleep by 5:00.

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom